3000. '74, gas,8 speed. One job is
replacing the 3 point lower link pivot
pin. Going to be removing the left axle
trumpet. Luke was going to pick up a
gasket at work today, but the parts page
shows 3 thicknesses. Any way to tell which
it needs before pulling it apart?
Thanks.

The gaskets on both sides act as shims to control the preload on the diff bearings and the backlash between the ring and pinion. I'd simply reuse the old gasket and put some sealant on it.

That was the only reason I could think of to have the different thicknesses. Thanks. Luke will be glad he doesn't have to spend $150+ for a gasket!

For Bern,,, Re gasket for Trumpet.

If you removed trumpet for any reason and the gasket was lost ,(ie did not know the size / thickness), do you have to go through a re shimming process with trumpet gaskets, simliar to shimming the metal shims with axle to housing ?? . (ie, trumpet may have to removed and reinstall a couple of times to get correct preload /backlash that you mentioned above, whatever the entails ???

To FordFarmer,,,
I just finished installing INNER SEAL because oil seeping to brakes...
My advice while you have the trumpet removed , is to replace INNER OIL SEAL ,(easy to do),, and repack axle bearing with grease....Re install everything with metal shims that were there...
To replace the OUTER SEAL is more complicated, and really not needed if you have only minimal seepage in brake drum...

Edit,, If you are going to remove trumpet and rear side axle, and brake drum as one unit, to replace 3 point lower link pivot,, you wont have assess to inner oil seal , etc ...

Cheers

This post was edited by markwolumla on 09/30/2023 at 07:19 pm.

I went into the manual to find the answers. It says for the one side to reinstall the same thickness gasket as was pulled out during disassembly (handy, huh?). To check the other side they want you to flip the whole rear housing and trumpet housing on its side to accurately check the preload on the diff bearings. Yes, you read that right. Spilt the rear axle housing off of the transmission and then somehow stand the whole works on the end of the one trumpet housing while you stack the other one on top.

How many people do you think have followed those exact instructions over the years? This is why I said to simply reuse the old gasket.

To replace the OUTER SEAL is more complicated, and really not needed if you have only minimal seepage in brake drum...

Can someone give us the life span of minimal seepage is it a day, month, a year.

ANY amount of oil on the brake shoes is a no-go. That said, replacing the inner seal only should stop it, unless the outer
seal is so wore out that it's letting grease from the wheel bearing seep through.

(quoted from post at 21:32:23 10/01/23) ANY amount of oil on the brake shoes is a no-go. That said, replacing the inner seal only should stop it, unless the outer
seal is so wore out that it's letting grease from the wheel bearing seep through.

Thank's Bern... So I take it minimal seepage is a sign of a worn seal a visual sign.

So the dice are rolled just because its complicated.

Can someone give us the life span of minimal seepage is it a day, month, a year.

To Bern ,,
The moral or the story is, if you remove trumpet be careful with gasket and reuse.
Or if gasket is damaged , straight away measure thickness etc ,(dont throw in bin, Order new..

To Hobo,,
If OP's brakes are good, and he removed axle assembly from housing assembly to get access to link pin, The Inner Oil Seal is looking at him in the face, why not replace while your there ??
At least he is confident in the foreseeable future that OIL wont be seeping into brake area....

Regarding Outer Grease Seal,
If Outer seal in NOT 100% and you have replaced Inner Oil seal, I suppose grease could seep into brake area.... But you would'nt have the washout effect of oil with the grease... You could say where having a roll of the dice....
You brakes effectivness will be the judge,, And/Or check brake area for grease seep.

The alternative is ,,,.remove large nut, (you could damage the axle threads doing this), dimantle axle ,,, hub,,,re place bearing,,,Re shimming,,,etc, etc .... Unless the axle bearing is damaged or failing ,, I think I would roll the Dice on this one...

An older man has a leaky heart valve. The Doctor says you have 2 options...
1. Medication.... Your quality of life should be good.
2. Operation to replace heart valve.

Man asks what are the negatives of both...

Medication ... None, but we will have to see you every 12 months for checkup.

Operation ... If successful you will have a heart like a 40 year old.... But there is a 70% chance the operation will kill you..

Talk about having a throw of the dice ....

This post was edited by markwolumla on 10/01/2023 at 07:50 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back