Wear on Front axle pivot

Ok - the overhaul on the free (hah) D14 continues. Done with the power steering overhaul, clutch work and seals. Now just about time to
re-join the halves and put the front axle/wheel assembly back in. One other problem that should be addressed before finishing this . The pivot pin on the front
axle (where it enters the front support to steady the front axle) is heavily worn from rotation in the front support. The front support is also egg shaped from
wear as well. Interesting that AGCO still actually sells a new pivot pin that could be welded on the front axle (i'll have to be nice to Santa for this one- it's
about $300.00). There is also a bushing that AGCO sells that shows going in the front support. I'll assume the engineers figured out how much stress and
rotational wear these non-lubed pieces were getting. So, anyone have a great fix. What I've done so far is drill and tap the front support to be able to add
grease. With no shroud on the pivot point, that will attract dirt, but i think the best of two evils. I'm considering using my mig to build weld material on the
pin, then re-shape it with a flap disk or grinder. I can't see spending 300 bucks for a new pin, and maybe it's worth spending #40.00 for the bushing they show
and somehow enlarge the front support to hold it. Anyone been down this path yet? Just wondering if someone else has a better fix for this issue.

The D14/D15 wide front pivot bushing is a replaceable part. It might be a bugger to get out. On the D17, I used a bushing splitter to chisel out a section of the side; then it comes out easily.

mvphoto105762.jpg

$300 is outrageous price for what that pivot is.
Your idea of building up the existing pivot will work, but it is important to get it round and close to size with the hole in the pivot bushing after installation.

I re-worked the same parts on my D17, they were extremely worn.
New bushing from AGCO. Built up the pivot by welding. Then was able to get the weldment up on the milling machine and reverse-bored the pivot.
Really can't remember how I got the darn thing up on the mill, but it worked.

mvphoto105761.jpg

This post was edited by gatz271 on 05/16/2023 at 07:16 pm.

Great repair work. Boy howdy, i have no idea how you got the front axle supported to do any mill work. My situation is a little different, because
it looks like my support housing did not originally come with a brass bushing. I understand that some of the early models were built that way. i put a zerk in exactly the same place that you did. Will also admit, it will be difficult to weld on the flattened pivot pin and grind it back to a perfect circle to fit the bushing. That also assumes that somehow i'll be able to boar the front support out to accept the press-fit bushing. I'm almost wondering if i should cut the original pivot pin off the front axle, take it, the new bushing (not ordered yet) and the front housing to my local machine shop guy and get those pieces mated just like you did. Then, my home shop work becomes welding the pivot pin back on the axle. Then again, his shop time and my time might get close to the 300 for the new pivot pin anyway. Almost sounds like AGCO figured that one out, huh?? If i could figure out how to fit the bushing in to the existing oblonged hole in the housing, i could probably make this work. I don't think using a mag drill will work becuase of supporting the housing. Your repair is spot on for what should be done here.

Pivot pin was corroded and the hole in the axle oval on my B. Overbored the hole, put in a bushing, then replaced the pin with a hardened bolt, pressed fitted. Seems to work fine.

What did you use to overbore the hole the size of the bushing. Because of the odd angles and size of the front axle support, i'm still scratching
my nogin about how best to tackle this.

yeah, i think you are right. Given the pin welded to the front axle costs 300.00, i really think i'll cut the old one off, take it, new bushing,
and front support to my buddy at the machine shop.

I once made a pin for a D19 .

I made it out of 4130 Annealed and it was an Eccentric Turning. I wanted a steel with a higher sheer and tensile strength, than mild steel or even cold rolled steel; thats why I went with 4130

I remember welding 7 passes per side with a 7018 welding rod. i remember, I measured the axle about a 100 times to make sure it was straight to the center line of the tractor frame.

I can probably mig it, but 7018 is probably a great option. Think Ill wait until the bushing gets. Here then back in to this. I was just out in the shop again looking this o we . I still am probably better off building weld material on the old pin and using the bushing as a guide to gage the flap disk, files and Emory to try to make it as round as possible I kinda figure it wont be worse than it is now .

Ok - so the end result of this was to take the front housing to the machine shop, and they bored it to accept the AGCO bushing shown in Gatz's post. i also overbored the rear axle support and pushed a different bushing in it to slow the wear on the support . Drilled / tapped it for a grease fitting, and from this perspective we have a better, longer lasting solution. ON to the next challenge.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back