300U hydraulic filter conversion

Luke9

When I pulled my hydraulic reservoir apart, the suction strainer was collapsed. New ones aren't cheap, so I decided to spend it on a suction filter conversion instead. Probably about $135 total in parts, mostly from Surplus Center. Filter is 25 gpm, 25 micron.

The pressure line where it exits the reservoir was cracked and had been repaired with a huge blob of braze, which worked, but I fixed that as long as I had it apart. The lines were originally brazed into the block that bolts on, but this block is cast steel so I chose to weld them rather than braze. I chopped the suction line to preserve the bulb end for the hose attachment. The end of the pressure line is a Weatherhead flareless compression fitting.

The filter location was tight. The steering arm just barely kisses the suction gage at full travel, so I need to add an elbow to move the gage. Or just eliminate it...the gage was just some additional, unecessary bling. Also want to add a pipe clamp at the end of the pressure line on top of the filter housing. Since the suction line is below the oil level in the reservoir, I'll probably need to do an uphill parking job during filter changes.

mvphoto93207.jpg

mvphoto93208.jpg

mvphoto93209.jpg

Since filter is lower than pump and reservoir you will be fine as is. I would have probably put a shut off for the lines at the filter for oil loss while changing filter.

I forgot the one other reason for the work...the pressure hose from the pump to the hard line was in awful condition. Not leaking, but looking ominous. That hose was originally bonded to the hard line as near as I can tell, not the greatest of designs...but it lasted 65 years! Ok, but it was fun to do. Anyhow, now its a very standard 24" hose with #12 JIC swivels at both ends.

The oil loss at filter change shouldn't be too bad. This tractor is a terd that will be lightly used at hay season. My filter schedule will probably end up measured in years rather than hours.

I use a shop vac, duc tape to the fill hole to change filters that will drain
reserviors . turn it on, do your work,turn it off. Works great on combine hydraulic
reserviors

NICE job, I should do that to my ''424'' that has the hydraulics set upon a similar fashion.

As long as it's properly maintained/changed when needed to should prevent a lot of pump wear.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back