300U split and more...manifold

Dave H (MI)

In the process of working down to the cylinders to see how bad things are. To recap, when I drained the oil pan the tractor had better than a half gallon of clear water in it with the oil floating on top. It had set outside with the hood on and a can bucket over the rain cap. Eventually found out the engine was stuck. I put some diesel in the spark plug holes to get it started and left it. In the meantime I pulled the cover off the rockers and found water all the way up there. Small amount of rust but it looks like the oil pump may have been siphoning water/oil before the rear seal went south. Based on this the decision was made to pull the head and have a look. Almost there but the manifold, with all nuts removed, doesn't want to come loose. If anyone has any guidance with this I will give it a try tomorrow. I managed not to break off any studs so far.

Curious where all that water came from on a tractor that lived in a locked barn probably 360 days of the year prior to the main seal going.

In one of those IH tractors with a threaded pipe in the manifold the threads can leak even if the pipe is tight and not moving or wiggling. So even if there is a bucket covering the muffler water can just run down the outside of the muffler, down the pipe and past the pipe threads into the manifold and down past an open valve into a cylinder. I thought this was already explained in your last post that you informed the forum of a locked engine and water in the oil pan. Maybe this was in a post to another poster and not you.
Edit to clarify wording.

This post was edited by used red MN on 09/04/2021 at 08:11 pm.

With only a half gallon of water in the pan I would suspect the water by the rocker arms is condensation from setting. Sounds like bearing time and probably sleeves.

Well more then likely it i just rust build up around the studs , Some panther pee some light tapping more panther pee more tapping some prying here and there she will come loose . Oh might be stuck on the gskt , so two stiff bladed putty knifes driven between the manifold and head on all ports will help .

I don't have a panther and doubt I would collect pee if I did. Likewise the putty knives...I have an aversion to painting and anything related to it. But I took your advice and went out and bought a couple...they worked just fine along with 45 minutes or so of finesse. When the gap got too big I substituted screw drivers and rocked it some to loosen it up (no prying). Off it came...no damage.

I'm not against the idea. The tractor is in one heckuva lot of pieces right now. Fixing it would be pretty easy compared to putting it back together. No worries though...I have notes, pics, and video of everything I have done so I can find my way home.

Well for future ref. look and see if you can find a Zep Dist and get a couple cans of there penetrating fluid . Myself and and my close friends usually buy a case each every year . last year they had a buy one get one free . I am good for two years or so . . Now keep in mind this stuff is NOT CHEAP but it works well and you do not have to drowned something to get it to work . I was given my first can back in 68 to try and since then that is what i buy . When you open a business you become the target of every Nut and bolt , snake oil , tool guy that ever walked this planet wanting you to try/ buy what they are pedaling , some leave samples , some are vary pushy . Some i have flat run off . The Zep product is and industrial product Not sold at the Auto parts store , Walmarts or any place else that the avg. joe goes . Here at the house i have a can in the basement , one on the ft. porch , one in the pantry , one in the old Durango , four in my service truck , one in the War Department car and one in my car . It works as a wasp killer , it works as a poison ive killer , kills termites and makes things move that are suppose to move that won't and in a pinch will work as a defensive weapon , word of caution Never get it in your eyes . You will learn the true meaning of PAIN .

Yep that is the NEW stuff , we got 2 cases with our last order FREE on the by one get one free. deal. Some say it is even good on toast .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back