300U stuck engine...

Dave H (MI)

I worked my way down to the cylinders today. Engine is still stuck. It has been suggested to me that a block of oak and a 4 pound hammer, both of which I have, should be used to free it up. Not really a brute force kind of guy as I don't like to pay for damaged parts, but if a consensus tells me it is OK to go ahead I will give it a try. I took a picture of the WORST rust on a sleeve. The rust is on the sleeve slightly to the right in the picture. You can ignore what looks like rust on the left, that is just wet rust powder from my hands. Likewise what appears to be rust down where the piston meets the sleeve...that is diesel fuel residue from soaking. It has a lot of crud in it...all soft. I could have wiped it out of there with a paper towel. Curious what y'all thing about the rust on the sleeve at left. Lastly the counter bore...that is assorted crud mixed with diesel and not rust.

cvphoto100151.jpg

I would see what it looks like after it is apart and you have run a hone through it. I prefer a dingle ball hone.

Does it appear that other cylinders are rusted and stuck? Is that cylinder all the way to the bottom, this is verified by the center two cylinders being at TDC. If the others appear to have minimal rust and are likely not stuck and the center pistons are not at the top I would try this. On the stuck cylinder disconnect the rod bolts/nuts pull the cap and see IF you can get the remaining 3 to move. You want to move it the direction that will raise the center pistons to TDC. If you can get it there you will have some space between the stuck pistons rod and the crank throw. Now in my book you have no choice other than applying the oak block and 4 lbs hammer to the stuck piston. Only now the dead weight of the rest of the reciprocating assembly is not fighting against your hammer blows. Now if the center pistons are at TDC you have a larger can of worms. Good luck!

I'm a little confused by your description as to what is rust and what is not. Since you state you can wipe something out with a paper towel, I respectfully request you do that and post up a fresh picture with the bore cleaned.

Right now it looks pretty bad. Maybe once you wipe out what all is not rust leaving just the real rust a better assessment can be made.

That's fair enough. I thought the pic was OK when I took it but when I got back to the house I was not happy with all the direction I had to give. By that time the mosquito plague was awake and it is a long walk to the shop and back. I will see can I get better tomorrow.

well what i do in these situations is lightly hone the bore clean all that rust out use an air hose to blow as much as u can from around the rings. you are a little light on hammers! you need at least an 8-10 lbs sledge. actually a good post mall works the best. just get a piece of hard wood to match the bore then basically just let the weight of the hammer fall you dont need to really give it much forse. and these pistons are not that stuck. i have removed 10 times the rust on cyls and got pistons out. you cant baby them.

Yup and old fashioned deglazing hone some kerosene some old rags blow gun , then some Zeppy and the block of wood and four pound hammer to jar it a bit then move on to the next . she does not look to bad and salvage able . Now with out running a bore gauge thru it to see ho9w out of round and tapper ya may get away with a ball hone and a new set of rings and bearings .'

Heck I wouldn't even go so far as new rings and bearings. Just get 'er loose, slap the head back on, make sure it's got oil, and see how it runs. Countless old engines have been resurrected that way. Course there's nothing stopping you if you want it all new and shiny inside.

Alright, give me a couple days to clean those out. I will wipe out the heavy stuff then see if it blows clean once it is dry. I would rather not have rusty diesel all over me. Hate the smell of that stuff. I have to break away and put wire around all the trees here...and there are a lot of trees. Once you hit 9/15 any small tree left unprotected is a goner when these big bucks on the place start scraping. You would not believe the deer I pick up on the night cameras. Neighbor poached one (means, hunted without permission) in the back field a couple years back. I found out about it when I saw him on TV. It was a big deer.

Pictures to come.

Dave-if that was mine, I would not hesitate to put in a set pistons and liners, rods and mains, and send the head out. I mean- you're right there and not much more to do to do it right! And never need to do any thing again to it. Mark.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back