'38 F20 Progress

Ken Christopherson

Hey all.

Got to work yesterday on the F20 for a little while again. Was able to get the head broke down, cleaned up, valves freed up and polished, and also spent some time lapping the valves. I think it cleaned up pretty well, actually. Don't see any visible cracks (which is good), so I am excited for that (especially after dealing with the M issues). I do have a broken manifold stud to get out, but that is not a huge deal.

Magneto was taken off and cleaned - looks like it has had new points, etc. in it in recent history. Cleaned the points, and set the gap... HOT blue spark! Good to go on that!

Carburetor is another story. This old girl was pretty rusty on the bottom side. Inside the float bowl was pretty clean, and the throttle shaft was seized in the throttle body. Was able to get it all apart, but now I am wondering if I can get a complete rebuild kit for it. Seems as only basic kits are available. Sent an e-mail to Mark's Carb to see what he might have for replacement parts. We'll see what happens. Now, the next thing is to get the engine free, and work on the seized clutch as well. I ordered a 3.5 gallon pail of Evaporust. I'm not sure if this stuff works, but I am going to give it a shot on some things around here - there are not really any bad reviews online, so I'll make sure to make a review video of it (plan on soaking the carb in it).

Little by little - I hope to have a test run in by mid to late summer. Going to keep this tractor original for a while - I like the moss and lichens that are growing!

Episode 3 will be available in about 3 hours... Stay tuned...
a158952.jpg

a158953.jpg

a158954.jpg

a158955.jpg

a158956.jpg

a158957.jpg

a158958.jpg

a158959.jpg

F20 Episode 3

Good to know - I have watched a lot of videos online regarding what people have used it for, and I am impressed so far. We will see what it does to the carburetor rust!

Yes, I have. I tried that in the past but every time I try I don't think I get enough penetration into the stud. It just twists the nut right off most the time. I seem to have better luck drilling and tapping them and starting from scratch that way.

head looks good , most I see the exhaust guides are half gone or worse , the seats look to be in pretty good shape and so do the valves , looks like that old girl doesn't have a lot of hours on her las rebuild , you should have a good runner when you are done.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back