4000 4 cyl hydraulic question?

Lynn Patrick

I have had this 4 cylinder 4000 gas for 2-3 years & have used it a lot even tho the 3 point only worked in position control, so I knew the cam follower pin needed replaced. Lately the quadrant lever had gotten hard to move, but it still worked. Thursday I used it to load some weights & it worked as usual. Saturday the lever would only move about 1 1/2" & pulled VERY hard & snapped right back down when released. The 3 point would come up as long as I held the lever up but go right back down as soon as I released it. I tried it in w/the control in draft & it snaps right back into position. I know I need to pull the top cover for the cam follower, but what else might I look for?
As usual, any help is very much appreciated!!
Thanks!

I can't say for sure but it may be possible that the pin finally wore completely thru. It has been quite a few years ago that I was working on a neighbor's tractor that was doing and not doing some strange things. I pulled the cover to find the pin completely cut off. Replaced it and did some very minor adjustments and all was fine again. Sorry but I can't remember what it was exactly doing when it was brought to me. Greg

I can't say for sure but it may be possible that the pin finally wore completely thru. It has been quite a few years ago that I was working on a neighbor's tractor that was doing and not doing some strange things. I pulled the cover to find the pin completely cut off. Replaced it and did some very minor adjustments and all was fine again. Sorry but I can't remember what it was exactly doing when it was brought to me. Greg
Thanks! I'm hoping that's what I find!

I pulled the top cover this morning, & the cam follower is in GREAT shape. It actually looks like it might not have even touched the cam for a while! Anybody's next idea? Thanks!

Go through all of the adjustments in the service manual.
Thanks for reminding me. That was my intention, & I got to it this afternoon.
Step 1 - "adjust the control spring" - It ACTUALLY TURNED w/out heat & 1/2 turn did it.
2 - Lift arms 1/2" down from full up. (I made a jig to hold it there)
3 - Selector lever in down (draft) position
4 - Touch Control lever at full up. WHOOPS!! Lever won't move only about 1 1/2" from full DOWN! I can't find the I&T manual answer for this! If it's in there & I missed it somebody please tell me the paragraph #, please!

UPDATE: I have the top cover torn apart & think maybe I've found the trouble: Is the position control arm supposed to spin freely on the control lever shaft? Mine is stuck tight!

N o it is supposed to be tight on the shaft, otherwise you would not be able to use the lever to change position. HOWEVER, the shaft is supposed to turn freely, and sometimes they get rusted frozen.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back