4010 power steering

Ldwallace

My understanding is that the 4010 has power steering vice assisted power steering, no
mechanical connection between the steering wheel and front wheels.

My question: is there a warning before the tractor looses steering? Is it possible one could
suddenly lose both steering and breaks while driving down hill on a black top road?

Has that ever happened to anyone here? If so, what did you do or what could you do?

I am a bit old to exit the tractor while it is moving at 15 mph. That would be a bad day for me!

First warning of a hydraulic issue is slow 3pt and slow selective control valves,,, the priority valve keeps the steering and brakes after that,, then sluggish steering is the next hint,, the system will allow for manual steering for a bit,,Yes I have lost it all a few times in the past but with out any major out come..

Brakes are supposed to work with engine shut off on all of them. If your pedal goes all the way down when you shut the engine, you have a sticky valve inside. Fix it as if the clutch was bad... you can test your ability to stop or steer the tractor with engine shut on a wide open space. It is interesting.

The steering almost always work with engine shut off on them, unless it has very serious issues even if engine running.
You should be able to stop three times at least with power if you have a later 20 series with the accumulator.

For instance, EU homologuation requires to take a 40ft radius curve at full speed, with killing the tractor at the beginning of the curve, and to stop in 80ft with enfine dead (that second one i am not 100% sure).

What irritated Me the most on Dad's 4010 was the fact a 1963 4010 bought at auction December of '68 the tiered were wore so bad the nearly bald frt tires wore about 1/8 more rubber off running it the 20 miles home from the sale. On one of those nice warm January days Dad ran it to his Deere dealer of choice to have it tuned-up, He made it 4-5 miles and blew a front tire, spent the rest of the day getting new tires mounted and installed, then completed his trip to the dealer. Later that spring I had a worn frt tiered end fall apart about 100 feet from the end of a field plowing. The power steering creeped, the spinner would be in one spot at the start of a quarter mile field, by the time I got across the field it was 180 degrees away from that spot. The 80 acres we rented was half mile rows, steering wheel made a full rotation in one trip across the field. The tractor got the matching #400 Deere frt mounted 4-row cultivator on it that it had since new, it was irritating, all the IH tractors I cultivated with turned tight enough I could turn onto the next 4 rows and head back across the field, the 4010 I had to skip 4 and take the second 4 rows. I'm pretty sure a NFE tractor would have turned short enough. It was a nice cultivating tractor except for that. Last 20 acres I cultivated with it I ran in 7th gear, about 1500-1600 rpm, Didn't take me long to finish that field!

Dr Evil
Front tire toe-in set incorrectly causing tires to fail prematurely is not due to tractor make or model # but to previous tractor owner.

Due to 4010 rowcrop tractors ""not having hydrostatic steering valve"" I think it's unlikely for JD 4010 rowcrop steering wheel to rotate 180 in 1/2 mile of tractor travel. Piston(item 32) has a very short distance that it can travel in power steering valve housing(item 16)
mvphoto96751.png

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back