4020 main seals and P.S. clutch

JDfan

I was looking at a 1965 4020 diesel to purchase. The had an in-frame OV less than 1000 hrs ago. Both main seals are leaking some, engine runs well. My question is how concerned should I be about the leaks. Is more engine work in the near future?
Another question is about the 'clutch'. There is a round protrusion from the transmission case. The clutch pedal arm is up against it on the powershift tractor I looked at, in the pictures of another one the pedal arm stays around an inch away from the protrusion. What does this tell me if anything about this tractor? Pictures show what I am asking about on the main seals and clutch. Thanks!
cvphoto134465.jpg

cvphoto134466.jpg

cvphoto134467.jpg

I need to look at mine, but I think there is a return spring missing.

I'd be wary of the leaking main seals.

Last thing- I'm thinking that thing is a '64- long engine disconnect lever, no differential lock. Not that it matters a lot.

Looking at the pictures more, the one of the rear of the oil pan- it could be a number of things. Note there is a loose oil pan bolt. It's also possible for hydraulic oil to be leaking from above- either from a remote cylinder valve, or the power steering valve, to collect there.

Is the front one oil, or wetness from a leaking water pump above??

Kind of halfa$$ing the overhaul with leaking seals and a loose bolt in the pan, wonder what else they left or didn't finish. Walk away.

Leaking seals would bother me especially if the tractor is in the field 8, 10, or more hours in the field at a time without a check of oil and fluids.

Tractor probably would be used no more than 3 -4 hrs at a time to tedd/rake hay and as a backup to our 4430 to mow (moco 630) and bale (round 535/square 338).
It is a 65 powershift(seems to shift fine)in good condition, body wise, unknown real hrs, good tires, rebuilt fuel injection pump,engine (in frame), and pto starts/stops on command. What are your thoughts on worth? I am in Indiana. Thanks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back