420 hydraulic suction line packing

420tlp

New User
I am confused with proper location of the packing and sealing washer for the suction line connectors for the line behind the dash on my 420. Anybody know the right way?
1000000940.jpg
1000000941.jpg

There must be a recess for the seals to set in the part that the bolts go through on the pipe. I would have to see how deep that is to make my decision of how to assemble this. If the steel backing ring takes up more than half of that recess I would attempt to assemble it as you show it in the upper position in your photo. Even though that may be the opposite of what it seems to show in the parts catalog. In my opinion something has to contain the outside of the rubber or packing so it does not just get smashed out when the bolts are tightened. Of course whether I went with that positioning or not would depend on how the packing looks as I tighten down the bolts.

Cork seal down into recess--steel ring--outside retainer with two bolts compressing cork seal and sealing pipe that is slide in, then you tighten the two bolts.. Sealed..

Yep. The parts catalog shows the proper order. That's why it's so important to have one.

That's the first composite seal I've seen. Wonder why/when Deere changed it?
M-Man, what are you calling “composite”? The seals or packings in his photos look like cork to me. Maybe the previous type were simply black rubber.

M-Man, what are you calling “composite”? The seals or packings in his photos look like cork to me. Maybe the previous type were simply black rubber.
Cork and rubber composite similar to a lot of valve cover gaskets. Yes the original was a rubber sleeve.

Cork seal down into recess--steel ring--outside retainer with two bolts compressing cork seal and sealing pipe that is slide in, then you tighten the two bolts.. Sealed..
Wrong. Look at the parts book pic wore out posted again.

It is a compression seal. It has to have a flat solid surface on both ends. Pressure on the center is what seals it against the pipe. Seal first would push it down into the socket over time and it would fail.

The M socket was machined flat and didn't use the ring.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back