4230 Fuel Tank Dent Repair

SoDakretired

New User
My 4230 collided with the hay rails on a bale trailer and dented the fuel tank. New ones are not available and used ones are expensive. Has anyone tried having a body shop use a dent puller or other method to repair such a dent?

How bad is the dent? Is the tank leaking? Is the tractor a parade unit or an unusual variation of a 4230? I would be tempted to leave it be. It would be a conversation starter at the local tractor ride or plow day!

How bad is the dent? Is the tank leaking? Is the tractor a parade unit or an unusual variation of a 4230? I would be tempted to leave it be. It would be a conversation starter at the local tractor ride or plow day!
Dent is not real bad. Doesn't leak. Tractor is nothing special, just my everyday loader tractor. I am retired and it is all the loader tractor I need. It looked nice when it left our yard however and I would like it fixed. Neighbor borrowed it and it was damaged at his place. I am trying to save him some money getting it repaired.

Do you have a photo to share? There might be some non-destructive options.
Thanks for asking. Neighbor has the tractor and it is not home yet, so i do not have a photo. I stopped and looked at it briefly after he told me about the dent, but I did not think to take a picture of it. The dent is in the lower 1/3 of the tank, below the JD emblem and not very deep. What options do you have in mind?

My 4230 collided with the hay rails on a bale trailer and dented the fuel tank. New ones are not available and used ones are expensive. Has anyone tried having a body shop use a dent puller or other method to repair such a dent?
I have "carefully" welded short 5/8" bolts to the dent area then screwed on dual hook eyeletes to them and pulled the dents with a small cable comalong,,tapping at the dent area a bit to relieve the tension ,,getting the dent closer to being right then using a small amount of body putty to make the finish nice

The metal may be too thick for this trick but won’t cost you much but some time to try. Drain the tank and heat the area of the dent with a heat gun or could use a torpedo heater. Try for 300 deg F to not damage paint nor have much chance of igniting vapor. Apply ice cubes in the lowest part of the dent, hopefully there isn’t a hard, sharp crease. Goal is to shrink the metal and that pulls the dent back closer to straight. Having a few psi air pressure in the tank should help the dent move out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back