4320 injection pump removal

4520BW

Removing a pump from a 4320, have done several before with no problems, but this one i can get pump to slide about half way off shaft anf it stops. Did not want to pry one it. Any ideas whats going on? Are the umbrella seal binding up?

Removing a pump from a 4320, have done several before with no problems, but this one i can get pump to slide about half way off shaft anf it stops. Did not want to pry one it. Any ideas whats going on? Are the umbrella seal binding up?
Probably the umbrella seal catching in a SEVERELY worn brass tube groove.

Some had an extra o-ring on the drive shaft behind the umbrella seals that binds when removing the shaft. Twist the pump on the shaft when trying to remove sometimes helps.

Some had an extra o-ring on the drive shaft behind the umbrella seals that binds when removing the shaft. Twist the pump on the shaft when trying to remove sometimes helps.
The extra O ring does not apply to the 4320, or any horizontal mounted pump. The extra O ring is used on vertically mounted pumps only.

The extra O ring does not apply to the 4320, or any horizontal mounted pump. The extra O ring is used on vertically mounted pumps only.
I went back last night and a couple of wiggles it poped out. The 4320 does have the o ring next to the umbrella seals.

I went back last night and a couple of wiggles it poped out. The 4320 does have the o ring next to the umbrella seals.
The only O ring on the 4320 JDB pump is the mounting pilot O ring, there should not be one on the drive shaft at all, just the two rubber umbrella shaft seals. If you have one on the shaft someone put it there by mistake, and could be why pump came off hard.

The only O ring on the 4320 JDB pump is the mounting pilot O ring, there should not be one on the drive shaft at all, just the two rubber umbrella shaft seals. If you have one on the shaft someone put it there by mistake, and could be why pump came off hard.
#30 says o ring. Do i not use it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240109_182103_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240109_182103_Gallery.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 21
#30 says o ring. Do i not use it?
That is a small thin O ring used on the 4620 with the JDC FOUR roller injection pump. You said you have a 4320 that SHOULD have a JDB TWO roller injection pump that has the TANG drive, not the SPLINE drive like the four roller pumps use. So now I wonder if you have a 4320 OR 4620? Does the engine have the intercooled intake manifold like the 4620 came with?

hello,, this does not apply to your problem,, butt,, a friend had the 4320 pump seize up and break the drive shaft,, the deere parts catalog does NOT give a part number for the drive shaft,, any ideas on where to get a shaft, and a part # ??

hello,, this does not apply to your problem,, butt,, a friend had the 4320 pump seize up and break the drive shaft,, the deere parts catalog does NOT give a part number for the drive shaft,, any ideas on where to get a shaft, and a part # ??
The COMMON tang shaft is Stanadyne 10213, but it's shorter than the 18815 the 4320 JDB pump uses and is the ONLY application for that shaft. Cross your fingers as it might be hard to find one.

That is a small thin O ring used on the 4620 with the JDC FOUR roller injection pump. You said you have a 4320 that SHOULD have a JDB TWO roller injection pump that has the TANG drive, not the SPLINE drive like the four roller pumps use. So now I wonder if you have a 4320 OR 4620? Does the engine have the intercooled intake manifold like the 4620 came with?
Its a one owner 4320. I was going off the deere parts diagram. There was not an o ring on pump i removed or least one i could find . The umbrella seal were brittle and mostly disintegrated on removal. I had a set of seals and put it back together. Thanks for the heads up or i would of been trying to stuff o ring there !

Its a one owner 4320. I was going off the deere parts diagram. There was not an o ring on pump i removed or least one i could find . The umbrella seal were brittle and mostly disintegrated on removal. I had a set of seals and put it back together. Thanks for the heads up or i would of been trying to stuff o ring there !
Are you SURE the brittle bits were the seals? I've seldom seen them fall apart. What DOES fail over time is the weight retainer cushion ring that looks like coffee grounds inside when it goes bad, and USUALLY plugs the top cover return pressurizing ball check valve which USUALLY causes engine shut down/speed issues. Pump should be repaired when that ring fails, DO NOT knock the return ball out and keep running engine, or the retainer pins WILL eventually shear off, SEIZE the head/rotor assembly and BREAK the drive shaft. The repair gets REALLY expensive when that happens, and since JD dropped the ball on the 4320/4620 models and did not put a pump drive access cover plate over the injection pump drive gear, the FRONT TIMING COVER must be removed to replace the drive shaft. If the engine speed EVER changes up/down WITHOUT moving the hand throttle, that's a warning sign pump needs repair ASAP, the ring is failing.

Are you SURE the brittle bits were the seals? I've seldom seen them fall apart. What DOES fail over time is the weight retainer cushion ring that looks like coffee grounds inside when it goes bad, and USUALLY plugs the top cover return pressurizing ball check valve which USUALLY causes engine shut down/speed issues. Pump should be repaired when that ring fails, DO NOT knock the return ball out and keep running engine, or the retainer pins WILL eventually shear off, SEIZE the head/rotor assembly and BREAK the drive shaft. The repair gets REALLY expensive when that happens, and since JD dropped the ball on the 4320/4620 models and did not put a pump drive access cover plate over the injection pump drive gear, the FRONT TIMING COVER must be removed to replace the drive shaft. If the engine speed EVER changes up/down WITHOUT moving the hand throttle, that's a warning sign pump needs repair ASAP, the ring is failing.
I am confident it was the seals
This tractor run and starts good. I had the ring fail on the 4020 and backhoe last year. I agree the no access is a bad design, the 30 series up is alot better to access and no umbrella seals to leak..

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back