4430 Steering

My steering pump is oozing oil out the shaft. My question is....Will just replacing the seal #3 R72858 cure it or is there more to it.

steering seal.jpg

Maybe I should go with the whole new setup?

steering.jpg

My steering pump is oozing oil out the shaft. My question is....Will just replacing the seal #3 R72858 cure it or is there more to it.

View attachment 5356

View attachment 5357
Yes, the simple little rubber shaft seal can leak, nothing to it to replace it, commonly the mylar gaskets between the sections are leaking by that time, as well. They are a little more tricky to replace, and keep smoothed out during assembly, the sections need to be kept in exact line, as well. There's a special tool for that, a couple of precision dowels. I use a couple of drill bits that are a close fit in the holes. As to the updated steering kit you found, it won't fit your tractor IF it uses a steering metering pump like your parts breakdown drawings, it is for older serial numbered tractors that use the big steering valve carried over from the 4010 era.

I recommend replacing the check valve while you're in there. It's a little spendy but can save having to do it all over again. If I remember right if you update the fitting you gotta update the return hose to compression style fittings. And maybe yours has already been updated??

When you get the new shim gaskets I highly recommend carefully unpacking them from the cardboard before you leave the parts counter. A lot of times they're crinkled up and hard to flatten out because they weren't packed right. If they're too bad I give them back to the parts guys and try a different one. When I install the shims I use a very light film of Permatex anaerobic gasket maker 51813 and smooth out the shim with a gift card.

View attachment 5356

View attachment 5357
Yes that sea; needs changed but you need to look at the needle thrust bearing up in the column,, if the shaft has too much end play it will lift out of the seal area and continue to leak,, I gauge the end play as I put the 4 bolt column in place there should be little clearance where it sets down on the valve. The conversion in the picture is a replacement for early model valves,, not yours..

I want to report I got it back together and it seems to have stopped the leak. So THANK YOU everyone for your assistance on this.
Good to hear! How far did you go, did you replace just the rubber seal, or other parts, as well?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back