460 utility - Recessed HyTran Drain plug Size

Armstopia

New User
Does anyone know the thread size and dimensions of the recessed 3/8in square head "pipe plug" hy-tran drain plug on the 460 utility?

Want to get a new one before i drop the old one and was told i can find them at ace hardware but unfortunately it will be closed by time i get it out and can take it over with me to compare.

Please let me know thank you!!

so u trust 2 birds in the bush before one in the hand? them drain plugs are 1 inch pipe thread as one pretty much all them old tractors.
dont know where u got 3/8 from unless u mean the check oil level plug.

you are right it is 1/2in, not sure why i wrote 3/8

I don't usually trust 2 birds in a bush but when you are at work and the hardware store is next door to it, i figured someone would know the size and could save me a trip and you did!

Thank you for your help!

Sorry, I am confused, someone told me the recessed head is 1/2in drive not 3/8in so that's probably why i wrote that,

So it's a 1inch pipe plug with a 1/2in recessed head right?

If you mean the cover to drain section under the IPTO drive gears that's 3/8 pipe threads if I remember correct. Is that the one or one on bottom of transmission case at the lowest point? Or drain on a planet type PTO? Forgot to mention the 3/8 pipe plug at front of transmission housing to drain that part. Remember them being square head though.

This post was edited by D Slater on 09/05/2023 at 01:01 pm.

recessed head plug on the underside of a sloping plate that runs crosswise to the tractor, its the farthest forward drain plug

Yes 3/8 pipe thread. Tip on removing original plug. Take a 1/2 or 5/8 bolt and make four flats to fit snug in recess leaving the bolt head on to turn with. Square in plug often not a standard square size.

oh man between you saying 3/8 and rustred saying 1in, i really do have 2 birds in a bush with 1 on the tractor

:lol:

This is the plug I am referring to exactly, i tried putting a 3/8 ratchet in there and it barely didnt fit, the recessed head is juuuuust under 3/8 or it's just chewed up and the ratchet wont slide in.

https://i.imgur.com/leHXyOY.jpg
leHXyOY.jpg

This post was edited by Armstopia on 09/05/2023 at 03:12 pm.

Yep i realized that when i got home and looked under the machine, she's got 3 drain plugs, the one you are referring to 1inch, another one towards the middle that is pointing horizontally towards the front (probably 3/8), and one just infront of that one pointing down that is a recessed head plug (the one I was asking about), which I believe now is 3/8in pipe plug.

Thanks for all your help!

clean that plug out and use a good 3/8 short extension and tap it in good then loosen it. give it a good smack with a brass drift first to
jar it , it will come out.

when a person refers to the drain plug, u drain the oil at the rear to flush out as much as possible, and have the front lifted or on
ramps.

YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO HAVE THE CORRECT DRAIN PLUG SOCKET no and extention , ya need the square corners of the plug socket so not to round them out like the MANY i have run into .

I have had to put a jack under the wrench to get them loose in the past just up tight so it can't squirm out as you pull on the wrench had tried heat and all that jazz just a jack and tighten it up to the bottom of the ratchet or breaker bar held it. Then they don't have to be tightened in like it was a life threatening thing just snugged well. We also use a magnet in the threads to get particales out of the threads in the casting before we put them back in.

Plugs I found in that location are mostly supposed to be 5/16 square. But I use squared 1/2 inch bolt made a little bigger on square, enough so a medium tap in. Used a grade 2 bolt to start. Never broke but twisted like a pretzel. Used Better grade after that. Some are really tight. Since draining oil it's not that big a deal to drop plate to get plug out if needed. 5/16 is to loose in most.

This post was edited by D Slater on 09/06/2023 at 07:10 am.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back