460U gen/alt brace bolt

Hello All

Need help with an issue on the 460U. Attempting to convert from the OEM 12v generator to a GM 3 wire alternator.

I would like to remove the adjustable brace link at the top, its attached to a waterpump body-bolt, but is long enough to apparently be trapped by the pulley.

The basic issue is that the link gets into a bind with the casting as I push it upwards, it must go up further to interface with the top of the alternator.

I can only feel inside with my hands, seems like I could get the fan blades off with some wrenching but all I feel on the pulley-hub is just a pilot in the center of the shaft. Seems like I'm into a major disassembly here to remove the sheetmetal, radiator, and more...any thoughts on what it would take to actually remove this?

Alternate would be to cut it short with a small cutoff wheel, mockup the alternator with mounting, and then mig weld it in-place on the tractor...not my first choice but I would do it to save an additional 3 days of work...

view

I might be all wrong on this but could you heat the brace to get a little different angle so it would fit the alternator.

After more head scratching I'm going to try a Hitachi 50A alternator, it has a mounting pattern a lot more similar to the original IH-Gen vs. the GM truck mounting. 2nd would be the Kubota-style mini 30A alternator I'm using on SM, SA, and Cub.

The smaller OD should make it a lot more possible to use the existing brace, I'm probably going to have to heat it and bend a little offset in any case.

Trying to avoid major disassembly if I can. :D

The Hitachi LR-150 alternator solved all of my problems.

It has a mounting scheme just like the original IH design. Its going to take a lathe-made 9/16" bushing and I drilled out one of the alt body holes to 3/8" dia but the original brace appears that it will work with just a slight twist...saved a lot of work!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back