4630 hydraulic/ transmission issues

Jdtank122

New User
Need some help diagnosing a problem on my 4630 quad range. Was disking a few days ago and heard what sounded like I ran over some metal. Hard to tell because I had my ear buds in listening to music. (Bad idea) Anyways I shifted to neutral and got off the tractor and looked behind the disc and didn’t find any metal. Tractor sounded normal, got back in the cab and put it in B 2 let off the clutch and… nothing. No steering, brakes , 3pt hitch, pto. Clutch seems a little spongy. Seems like it will go in all the gears but very easily. Tractor doesn’t budge at any rpm. What am I dealing with here? Transmission pump? I pulled sump screen and it was pretty clogged. Decent amount of brass looking shavings on it. Cleaned it up and put it back in as a Hail Mary and nothing. Tractor has 10,500 hrs on it, have not had ANY hydraulic problems in the last few years. Transmission light never came on. What is the next thing to check? Get a pressure guage and check pump pressure? Pull pump shaft out of top link? Destroke front pump? Thank you in advance! I wouldn’t call myself a mechanic so I need all the help I can get on this one.

Need some help diagnosing a problem on my 4630 quad range. Was disking a few days ago and heard what sounded like I ran over some metal. Hard to tell because I had my ear buds in listening to music. (Bad idea) Anyways I shifted to neutral and got off the tractor and looked behind the disc and didn’t find any metal. Tractor sounded normal, got back in the cab and put it in B 2 let off the clutch and… nothing. No steering, brakes , 3pt hitch, pto. Clutch seems a little spongy. Seems like it will go in all the gears but very easily. Tractor doesn’t budge at any rpm. What am I dealing with here? Transmission pump? I pulled sump screen and it was pretty clogged. Decent amount of brass looking shavings on it. Cleaned it up and put it back in as a Hail Mary and nothing. Tractor has 10,500 hrs on it, have not had ANY hydraulic problems in the last few years. Transmission light never came on. What is the next thing to check? Get a pressure guage and check pump pressure? Pull pump shaft out of top link? Destroke front pump? Thank you in advance! I wouldn’t call myself a mechanic so I need all the help I can get on this one.
Possibly, the differential failed and smacked the transmission pump and broke it.

Unscrew the hex plug in the main case where the top hitch link mount attaches and see if you can pull out the long hex shaft that drives the transmission pump an see if it's damaged. (Looking at your post again, I see you were considering that, easy enough to do.)

IIRC, you may be able to peek into the hole with a penlite and see the transmission pump.

Possibly, the differential failed and smacked the transmission pump and broke it.

Unscrew the hex plug in the main case where the top hitch link mount attaches and see if you can pull out the long hex shaft that drives the transmission pump an see if it's damaged. (Looking at your post again, I see you were considering that, easy enough to do.)

IIRC, you may be able to peek into the hole with a penlite and see the transmission pump.
Thank you for the information! Just got back from the field. I tried to pull the shaft. Got about 2 ft of it to come out with a pair of pliars but can’t get it to come all the way out? Is it ok to force it the rest of the way out? I didn’t wanna tear anything up in the process. I heard they can be a real pain to get out.

Thank you for the information! Just got back from the field. I tried to pull the shaft. Got about 2 ft of it to come out with a pair of pliars but can’t get it to come all the way out? Is it ok to force it the rest of the way out? I didn’t wanna tear anything up in the process. I heard they can be a real pain to get out.
As soon as the shaft moves an inch or so rearward and it is free of the hex drive drive adapter in the end of the crankshaft it should be relatively easy to rotate the hex shaft, which will turn the gears in the transmission pump with it.

Can you turn it?

If the hex shaft won't come out, it MAY be twisted and broken in the area between the end of the engine crankshaft and the transmission pump.

I couldn’t find any examples online but I have heard of the differential pin sliding out and contacting the hex drive. Of course then all H-ll breaks loose. If this happened to yours I don’t think two feet of straight hex would come out. I don’t think anything else will open up to have a look.

I seem to recall the hex drive rounding off being a common ailment when I worked at the JD shop. But then I wasn’t really welcome on the tractor side of the building.

Just taking a wild guess you sheared off the drive lugs in the flywheel/clutch.

IMG_0953.jpeg

cranked the tractor this morning. Cracked the filter housing to see if it was pumping oil, it was not. Got the hex shaft to come out 2 ft again with pliars. It is slightly bent.

I couldn’t find any examples online but I have heard of the differential pin sliding out and contacting the hex drive. Of course then all H-ll breaks loose. If this happened to yours I don’t think two feet of straight hex would come out. I don’t think anything else will open up to have a look.
Do you know how long that shaft is? I’m gunna measure how far I got this one to come out, I didn’t try twisting it but I’ll give it a shot and report back. It is slightly bent toward the end

As soon as the shaft moves an inch or so rearward and it is free of the hex drive drive adapter in the end of the crankshaft it should be relatively easy to rotate the hex shaft, which will turn the gears in the transmission pump with it.

Can you turn it?

If the hex shaft won't come out, it MAY be twisted and broken in the area between the end of the engine crankshaft and the transmission pump.
I’m gunna take a tape and measure how far it came out, do you know how long that shaft is? I didn’t try twisting it but I’ll give it shot and report back. It is slightly bent toward the end. Thank you

Do you know how long that shaft is? I’m gunna measure how far I got this one to come out, I didn’t try twisting it but I’ll give it a shot and report back. It is slightly bent toward the end
I am relying on a memory that is from 20 years ago, I think it is 4-5 foot long or more. If I remember right it drives off something up in the perma-clutch.

Hex shaft for powering trans pump goes into a plug in engine flywheel. I'm going to guess 5 ft long. I recommend replacing that curved shaft. Part #for shaft is R51988. One needs to inspect other end of hex shaft for wear.

Got the entire shaft out. Kept taping it in and out and pulling on it some. Besides the curve at the end it’s completely straight. Only thing I see is some wear where I believe it goes through the pump.

Got the entire shaft out. Kept taping it in and out and pulling on it some. Besides the curve at the end it’s completely straight. Only thing I see is some wear where I believe it goes through the pump.
Not a JD man, but I would straighten the shaft as best I could, then smooth the edges of the "worn" spot (though it looks to have been stripped not worn), and see if i could turn the pump from outside. Are there any nicks or dents in the bent part showing impact? I would not use the existing shaft except as a picket pin. Jim

Bend doesn't appear as severe when completely removed from tractor. I don't understand why there's more than one worn spot where shaft fits in trans pump gear hex . If it was under my care due to wear spots I'd replace that hex shaft.
Screenshot 2024-04-25 153923.png

Bend doesn't appear as severe when completely removed from tractor. I don't understand why there's more than one worn spot where shaft fits in trans pump gear hex . If it was under my care due to wear spots I'd replace that hex shaft.
.View attachment 68495
I don’t understand that either, I’m going to order a new shaft, I’ll will post here when I try it, thank you so much for the help. It’s greatly appreciated

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back