5000 Steering assist problem

usgregp

New User
I have owned this 1976 ford 5000 for 10 yrs. Power assist has worked great (turned easily with 1500# round bail on bucket spikes) until top shaft seal failed & I replaced it. I mistakenly took out ball screw & balls all fell to bottom. I got all balls out & got them to stay in valleys with light grease. Now it will turn left normally (very easily) and right turn is like there is no power assist at all. There is a foaming inside of pump that I never saw before this. It would steer with one finger before. Tire pressure never made a difference, ever. I have been running like this for several months now. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thank you.

I have owned this 1976 ford 5000 for 10 yrs. Power assist has worked great (turned easily with 1500# round bail on bucket spikes) until top shaft seal failed & I replaced it. I mistakenly took out ball screw & balls all fell to bottom. I got all balls out & got them to stay in valleys with light grease. Now it will turn left normally (very easily) and right turn is like there is no power assist at all. There is a foaming inside of pump that I never saw before this. It would steer with one finger before. Tire pressure never made a difference, ever. I have been running like this for several months now. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thank you.
Well, I'm not sure exactly what happened, but it's pretty safe to say that it's with regards to something you did when you last had it apart. If it were me I'd pull it back apart and make sure that all of the o-ring seals in between the various control valve collars are in place and not cut. That would be about the only thing I can think of, unless you tried to take the control valve itself apart.

Well, I'm not sure exactly what happened, but it's pretty safe to say that it's with regards to something you did when you last had it apart. If it were me I'd pull it back apart and make sure that all of the o-ring seals in between the various control valve collars are in place and not cut. That would be about the only thing I can think of, unless you tried to take the control valve itself apart.
Not familiar with this unit, but in general ballscrews have two different sizes of balls and they need to alternate. The difference in size is very small so you need to measure them with calipers and sort before reassembly. Basically the slightly smaller balls act like idlers between the larger ones to prevent surfaces from rubbing in opposite directions.

Not familiar with this unit, but in general ballscrews have two different sizes of balls and they need to alternate. The difference in size is very small so you need to measure them with calipers and sort before reassembly. Basically the slightly smaller balls act like idlers between the larger ones to prevent surfaces from rubbing in opposite directions.
The balls are all the same size in this unit - the parts book would confirm that.

You said that you got all of the balls out of the bottom where they had fallen. How many was that? The parts site says that there should be 28 of them. Did you count them?

Thank yoy for info. I did count 28 balls (all the same size). I am not aware of the parts list for this valve. All o-rings from kit were replaced. I hate to disassemble this but may need to. Upon re-assembly, it worked normally (moving 9 large round bales from another pasture) and then the next time it was used, it was not working right & had foaming in pump. Is there a negative pressure on return side of pump?

Thank you. I have ordered a new pump filter & a manual for this tractor. When it gets here, I will get it replaced. I will also recheck o-rings in valve.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back