as the engine speed increases. Almost no
whine at all when in forward or reverse if
at idle. Whines the most in reverse. I
dropped the pan on the power shuttle and
cleaned the screen and replaced the o-ring
on the pickup screen tube; still whines
with no improvement. I would definitely
appreciate some advice.

Does it whine when you are in gear moving, does it have any whine sitting in gear shuttle engaged. There should be nothing rotating except the pump when in gear shuttle engaged sitting still. When either clutch is engaged the internals of the shuttle are stopped until forward or reverse motion is started, Is this a very loud whine, any chattering , there is a planetary gear set so failing gears or bearings could cause noise but in all my years I have never seen a planetary failure and I have done hundreds.

This post was edited by mEl on 11/28/2021 at 12:30 pm.

The power shuttle doesn't make noise when it's in reverse or in forward idling with my foot on the brake. I have been keeping it in 1st gear, but the faster the more noise it makes. It sounds sorta like a power steering unit that's low on fluid. The dip stick shows a perfect amount of fluid amount. What have you seen cause a noise like this in the past? Also, no chattering, just a medium sounding whine.

This post was edited by Ben! on 11/28/2021 at 04:51 pm.

I have never experienced what you are hearing, does the noise start as soon as forward or reverse motion is started? there are a couple ball bearings, two needle bearings and a couple bushings in there, I assume it makes noise when the 4 speed is in neutral and revved up, and in f&r as well. I wonder could it be a 4 speed transmission bearing rather than the power shuttle, as hard as it would be to drop the driveshaft that would isolate the power shuttle as being the noise rather than the tranny. With the shuttle in neutral and the 4 speed in a gear does it whine when revved even with the machine not moving?

This post was edited by mEl on 11/29/2021 at 04:52 am.

I never thought about it being the 4 speed transmission. I will unbolt the drive shaft and see if the noise goes away. It doesn't make any whine noise with the power shuttle in neutral.

This post was edited by Ben! on 11/28/2021 at 07:10 pm.

I removed the drive shaft from the power shuttle and the noise went away. Looks like I have a bearing going out in my 4 speed. I am hoping it's the input shaft bearing. Any idea which of the bearings are the most common in the 4speeds to go bad? Hopefully it won't be too hard to replace.

I removed the drive shaft from the power shuttle and the noise went away. Looks like I have a bearing going out in my 4 speed. I am hoping it's the input shaft bearing. Any idea which of the bearings are the most common in the 4speeds to go bad? Hopefully it won't be too hard to replace.

Your not going to get far until you drop it out.

Was the oil level low?

It can be any number of bearings, and also a Chipped ring and pinion.
You might get lucky and it be the input bearing.

Just finished rebuilding my 580D last spring.

Also FYI
Just because the noise quit after driveshaft removal doesn't
Mean it's still not the shuttle pump or converter.
There's no longer a load on the shuttle to produce the noise.
Check Trans axle oil for shavings or a silver tint.

Best place for parts I used is Broken Tractor.

https://www.brokentractor.com/c/case-backhoe/brake-parts/

Tom

This post was edited by TGP on 12/04/2021 at 03:17 pm.

I will hook up the drive shaft and use a stethoscope so I can confirm the location of the noise. If it's the input shafr bearing on the 4 speed, can I pull it straight out the front when the front cover is removed?

It will come out the front however it must be driven from the rear, If pulled from the front or driven from the rear without making a spacer for between the two gears the rear bearing will be destroyed as it cannot come by the low gear on the lower shaft. You need a spacer that just fits between the two upper gears when the front gear is ahead as far as it goes and the rear gear back as far as it goes. To test further, put the drive shaft back up, put the tractor in 4th gear in the four speed, test for noise with the brakes locked so the unit cannot move at full throttle in both F&R,

I put the transmission in 4th, and pushed hard on the brake in both forward and reverse and went full throttle. No whine or strange noise. It's sounds more and more like the whine I have heard from the input shaft bearing on an old standard transmission when driving a car.

I put the transmission in 4th, and pushed hard on the brake in both forward and reverse and went full throttle. No whine or strange noise. It's sounds more and more like the whine I have heard from the input shaft bearing on an old standard transmission when driving a car.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back