65 HP tractor

Bob seND

Member
I"m looking for suggestions for a ~65 HP tractor.
It would be used as a loader tractor (DUAL 325),
and for pulling a 4-16 plow. I need a 3-pt. hitch for a back blade, power steering, live PTO, and price around $9000 max. I"d like suggestions.
Bob seND
 
I have a massey 165 with a massey loader. Sorry to disagree with the 135 fan but it is a awful tractor. The seat is to low and the operator gets hit with the radiator heat, the 2 stage clutch, the pedal located almost under the seat, could only be described as clumsley. Sure it always starts and has power, and don't get me wrong the thing works, but nothing but problems with the friction disc on the throttle and to change the hydraulic oil and clean the filter requires disassembly of the 3 pt controls and removal of the foot rest. I am not making this up. Mine only has 1100 hrs and is mostly like new. The tractor is a pain.
 
As mentioned an Oliver 1650 diesel would be an excellent choice.I have one its dependable and easy on fuel also 180 and 185 Allis Chalmers are good tractors with super hydraulics and heavy duty 3 pt hitches
 
Ford, 5000, 5600 or 5610. Later you can get the better because the 10 will have more hydraulic flow for the loader, expecially if you get one with the dual pump option.

Rod
 
Agree with Rod about the Ford 5610, the latest one you can get. Another steller performer is the MF 275, or its sucessor the MF-690 which I have. The 275 and 690 have the Perkins 4-248 at 67 PTO HP. Tom
 
Couple of suggestions below for a 1650 Oliver. I agree,I'd add 1655 and a White 2-70 to that. Can't go wrong.
 
IH 1066, 1266 you are looking at fine tractor that can really work hard for you. Big but reasonable in price and very good tractors ask Allen in NE. Don't be to cheap you may just be buying a load of trouble. Have an expert look it over for hidden problems that could cost big bucks. An for take it out and work it not just drive it around because then you can see just what it can do and how much extra noise is in the drive train. Try every thing on it even the Diff lockup and all brakes one at a time you should be able to push the front end sideways you will need that when plowing.
Run your finger down the fins on the radiator they should ring not crumble or sound flat that a sign its about to go Blooey on you.
Look at the rear tires for big cracks not just the normal surface cracks from the sun, front tires are cheap so don't worry to much about them you may even want to just get new ones anyway.
Check all electrical things for good wiring and do the work or are they easy to repair Gauges should be in fair condition light maybe out or not working make a note of that. Can they fixed easy or do they need all new wires and switches.
that a good start just look and then get back to us to see what you found.Hold down good on the brakes and then test the clutch in the highest gear it should kill engine not slip and the throw out bearing should be quiet.
WOW! I sound like an Inspector. (my last job before retiring)
Walt
 
walt: I seem to remember you belly aching about some medical condition. When you go back to the doctor, get him to examine your head. 125 horse power tractor for a guy needing 65 hp would be nothing more than a bill of expence.

As far as using Allan for an example, he obviously has money to play with, some of these guys don't.
 
He said he wanted to pull a 4 bottom plow a 65 HP tractor will have a hard time doing that unless its pretty soft ground.

Some of us have actually used tractors for farm work.

Walt
 
Ford 5000 or the newer derivatives (5610, etc.). The best in that power class, and you should have some left over in your budget. Deere 2630, 2640 a good choice, also 2550, 2555. Massey 175 or 180 if you can find one. Not to sell short an IH 656 or 666 either, or an older 706 or 756. A Deere 3020 would be OK, too. If you have the budget, an MFWD Deere in the 2350, 2355, 2550, 2555 would really be the cat's meow.
 
I have a White 2-70 and a IH 966. I can see no reason either one will not do what ever it is I'm trying to do at anytime.The White my dad bought new in 76.I bought it from his estate in 2005 for $3000.00 . The 966 I bought local last Jan for $5000.00 .Two good tractors for the price of one.
 
I second the nomination for a good late model diesel ford 5000 ( or a 5600 ).

You can get them in the 5000-8000$ range, and they are 70hp/67 pto.

the 8spd tranny model is a proven design.. and has independent pto. Pretty good front axle too.

Heck.. probably find a 7000 in that range as well.. or a 7600 even...

Soundguy
 
Walt: I dare say I've clocked as many hours in a tractor as most folks on here. I never used more than 65hp to pull a 4 bottom plow in my lifetime. I plowed 8" deep for years with a Farmall 300 and 3x16" trailer plow, and as many more years with a 560 and 4x16 trailer plow. Then I bought a 5x16 semi mount to use behind my 1066. It was such a gross wate of fuel that first year, after that I pulled the 5x16 with 656.

Don't talk so damn foolish anyone who has land requiring a 1066 to pull 4 bottoms, better give er back to the Indians. If your trying to plow at 10 mph, you best see a head doctor.
 
Ford diesels are hard to beat. The 5000 might be on the small side. One or two notches up from that should be fine. I've seen those tractors keep on running 20 years after they were completely worn out.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top