69? Ford 5500 TLB hydraulics and tractor info

motard

Hi all, new here. I recently bought an old ford 5500. Im looking for info on the exact year and some other specifics Im hopoing to find.
number on right side engine header is E6NN9425BC 1, and V033682
numbers on other side block are FO ?? 6015-CB and seperately HH3 4 k 24

Supposedly this tractor has a newer factory engine with less than 100 hrs.
So far Ive changed out 7 hydraulic hoses that were bad, drained the hydraulic reservoirs and dug out some real nasty gunk from the bottom.
changed engine oil and trans fluid as well.
i bought 70 gallons of multi use fluid for the whole tractor. I still need to flush the trans again the fluid looked like white elmers glue and the engine oil was a grey sludge.

the wire harness is fried. it looks like it was in the charging circuit because on the back of the amps meter, both wires are toast leading both directions back towards ignition switch. I think i can just do some rudimentary wiring to get the gauges and lights that i would want. any problem with that? Probably Ill just hookup temp sensors and pressure and maybe a light.

so back to the fluid...now with new fluid when i operate the loader i hear a groaning and fluid in reservoir is foamy. wheres the most likely place to draw air into that circuit? The hoe doesnt groan or make noise.
Thanks for any help.

5500 was built 66-70, the engine block number on your is a 86 or later design and one of the more desirable engines.
Look for a tag on the valve cover which would id it as a BSD442 or BSD444.

Thanks Destroked, thats good to know.
Still cant find the tag on valve cover. Probably need to blow
off some gunk to see it.

As far as my hydraulic issues, I added a bit more fluid to the
system. Still getting aerated causing fluid to overflow vent.
Does anyone know any ways to find where air gets in
system?

Generally air can only get into the system when the reservoir is low on fluid or theres a hole in the suction line
Not sure on a 5500 but my 4500 has a oil level dip stick

(quoted from post at 09:49:06 03/15/21)
Generally air can only get into the system when the reservoir is low on fluid or theres a hole in the suction line
Not sure on a 5500 but my 4500 has a oil level dip stick

Thanks. That makes sense I guess.
Even with low fluid it would aerate and foam enough to blow out of the vent?
There is a dipstick on the right side near the filter access but its kind difficult to gauge the fluid because it settles between the two tanks and seems to be a different level every time I check it. I just read somewhere that all cylinders should be closed when checking level? I'm still waiting on my grip of 4 manuals to find the direction of the fluid.
I was wondering where all the 67 gallons would go but, after changing most fluids my waste oil drum is more full than the new one. Almost there!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back