69 years ago in Farmer City, IL

Don Rudolph

The Case dealers were ecstatic.

Attachments

• Feb_17th_Case_400_ad_Farmer_City__IL.jpg
    Feb_17th_Case_400_ad_Farmer_City__IL.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 50
I can imagine the dealers were excited, lots of improvements to sell on. New look with Desert Sunset and higher seat as compared to the 500, with comparable horsepower from a four cylinder. Ours didn't have power steering which contributed a lot to building muscle in my growing up. Still remember the steering wheel spinning after hitting a furrow while plowing.

For some reason it took me a long time to realize that a 400 and 500 engine are the same, only the 500 has two more cylinders. I wonder why it took so long to bring out the 400 after the 500 was introduced. Maybe because of the new transmission and rear end. I've also wondered what a 400 with a 500 engine would look like. Would have made a potent row crop for its day.

Well I think they tried with the 600 but it didn't show up until 1957 and according to Tractor Data only 1515 were built. I remember seeing one at our Case dealer and wowed it. It wasn't around long with the 900B showing up in late 1957 with the new look and 10 more horsepower

For some reason it took me a long time to realize that a 400 and 500 engine are the same, only the 500 has two more cylinders. I wonder why it took so long to bring out the 400 after the 500 was introduced. Maybe because of the new transmission and rear end. I've also wondered what a 400 with a 500 engine would look like. Would have made a potent row crop for its day.
Don, something you said jingled in my mind that I had heard years ago but never followed through on. I went to the online parts catalogue and checked, the engine to bell housing gasket is the same between the LA and the 500 6 cylinder, so a 500-600 engine would bolt in an LA. The newer bell design was introduced with the 400 and remained the same clear through from the 400 through all the series that used the case block. That 400 of course was the beginning of the 8 speed transmissions. Looking at the 4-500 engines at first glance you would think they were compatible but definitely had a different bell pattern.

Don, something you said jingled in my mind that I had heard years ago but never followed through on. I went to the online parts catalogue and checked, the engine to bell housing gasket is the same between the LA and the 500 6 cylinder, so a 500-600 engine would bolt in an LA. The newer bell design was introduced with the 400 and remained the same clear through from the 400 through all the series that used the case block. That 400 of course was the beginning of the 8 speed transmissions. Looking at the 4-500 engines at first glance you would think they were compatible but definitely had a different bell pattern.
Thanks for the information, Mel. I learn something from you every time. Now my dream of putting a 500 engine in a 400 chassis is over.

Well I think they tried with the 600 but it didn't show up until 1957 and according to Tractor Data only 1515 were built. I remember seeing one at our Case dealer and wowed it. It wasn't around long with the 900B showing up in late 1957 with the new look and 10 more horsepower
The 600, with 6 speeds and 34" rear tires is the tractor that the 500 should have been. I do really like our 500, but our 600 is a much more useful machine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back