danzangus

The shifter on my 7040 busted off 3 inches from floor ,about 1 inch above where the locking pin was inserted.I was able to drill out the pin hole.unable to remove the broken part of shifting lever that was inside . I tried drilling out the broken piece,no luck. Other than trying to weld the old shifter back on, what would be the best option. If I knew how far down the piece of the broken shifter went I would continue to try and drill it out. Anybody know how far below the pin hole the broken piece goes? Anyone know where I could find a shifter? Thanks Dan

(quoted from post at 07:12:33 07/29/22) The shifter on my 7040 busted off 3 inches from floor ,about 1 inch above where the locking pin was inserted.I was able to drill out the pin hole.unable to remove the broken part of shifting lever that was inside . I tried drilling out the broken piece,no luck. Other than trying to weld the old shifter back on, what would be the best option. If I knew how far down the piece of the broken shifter went I would continue to try and drill it out. Anybody know how far below the pin hole the broken piece goes? Anyone know where I could find a shifter? Thanks Dan
I don't know what you're trying to do for sure. Remove the cotter pin and then the coil spring and dust cover and down inside is a SNAP RING that you have to dig out, and it isn't easy. Once the snap ring is removed what is left of the gearshift bottom will pull right up and out. There's probably 3 to 4 inches you cannot see. Make sure you have things in neutral when inserting a good used gear shift. Any 7030-40-50-60-80 with the floor shift is the correct part. Should be hundreds of them in salvage yards around the country.

(quoted from post at 15:42:05 07/29/22)
(quoted from post at 07:12:33 07/29/22) The shifter on my 7040 busted off 3 inches from floor ,about 1 inch above where the locking pin was inserted.I was able to drill out the pin hole.unable to remove the broken part of shifting lever that was inside . I tried drilling out the broken piece,no luck. Other than trying to weld the old shifter back on, what would be the best option. If I knew how far down the piece of the broken shifter went I would continue to try and drill it out. Anybody know how far below the pin hole the broken piece goes? Anyone know where I could find a shifter? Thanks Dan
I don't know what you're trying to do for sure. Remove the cotter pin and then the coil spring and dust cover and down inside is a SNAP RING that you have to dig out, and it isn't easy. Once the snap ring is removed what is left of the gearshift bottom will pull right up and out. There's probably 3 to 4 inches you cannot see. Make sure you have things in neutral when inserting a good used gear shift. Any 7030-40-50-60-80 with the floor shift is the correct part. Should be hundreds of them in salvage yards around the country.
I have removed the dust cover,cotter pin. I can't see a snap ring,so I will do a better job cleaning the area. So if I have the shifter in neutral and can remove the snap ring,the broken piece of the shifter will pull straight out. I was concerned that the new shifter might be difficult to install and I might get it out of alignment.

I have removed the dust cover,cotter pin. I can't see a snap ring,so I will do a better job cleaning the area. So if I have the shifter in neutral and can remove the snap ring,the broken piece of the shifter will pull straight out. I was concerned that the new shifter might be difficult to install and I might get it out of alignment.[/quote] There absolutely is a snap ring in there and I said it isn't easy to get out. If things are in neutral, pretty hard to get it out of synch BUT, before installing the snap ring, gently try to shift into all gears while holding the lever down in it's socket.

This post was edited by DrAllis on 08/03/2022 at 05:55 am.

(quoted from post at 16:36:24 08/02/22) I have removed the dust cover,cotter pin. I can't see a snap ring,so I will do a better job cleaning the area. So if I have the shifter in neutral and can remove the snap ring,the broken piece of the shifter will pull straight out. I was concerned that the new shifter might be difficult to install and I might get it out of alignment.
There absolutely is a snap ring in there and I said it isn't easy to get out. If things are in neutral, pretty hard to get it out of synch BUT, before installing the snap ring, gently try to shift into all gears while holding the lever down in it's socket. I do see what appears to be a washer/collar that has two indentations 180 degrees apart. It would be easier if I had a picture of the snap ring.I would think the snap ring could be rotated.Very difficult to see inside. It would be much easier if you lived down the road a mile or so. I bet you hear that a lot. Thanks

This post was edited by DrAllis on 08/03/2022 at 05:55 am.
[/quote]

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back