72 IH 544 carb. replacement

dbenko

New User
bought this tracotor for dirt cheap $300. Husband passed. tractor set for three years. Found bad solenoid valve, bad gas, OEM fuel pump replaced with electric. Rebuilt carb, replaced solenoid, cleaned tank replaced fuel lines. Carb floods will not fire. Spark is good at all four plugs tractor will start on starter fluid but not carb. removed and disassembled carb found nothing wrong solenoid working, needle valve working, floats good. ???. Decided replace carb. My tractor is gas - hydro, original carb Zenith 406803R91 the replacement carbs I found do not have solenoid valve and do not replace the original numbers on my carb but do say they are a direct replacement for that model tractor. Has anyone bought a replacement carb for this model and did it work for you. Looking for insight.

Replacement carbs are generic fit-alls.

Very common to have to adapt the linkage and plumbing to fit. Getting the throttle linkage right is very critical for the governor to work.

The solenoid is not necessary, it is only an anti run-on, anti backfire devise.

What id the pressure output on the electric pump? If it's over 3 to 5 PSI it will overpower the needle valve.

And was it really flooding? It is normal for an updraft carb to drip gas after a failed start. True flooding will continue to flow gas, or drip before even trying to start.

Chances are you can save the original carb with a little more tinkering. Possibly there is still an internally clogged passage if it never tried to fire, or there is another problem unrelated to the carb.

I have a good carb off of a running 454. not sure it is the same but will sell if interested.

I figured the soleniod was n't needed just wanting to confirm. I'm with you I feel the carb will work it's to simple. The pump has no pressure rating on it. I have two choices one replace original fuel pump and lines or line line pressure reg... I need it running to load it on a trailer. It has hydro power steering can't turn it unless it's running. So thanks for the insight I didn't want to buy a carb I didn't need. Thanks.

You need to pull a spark plug or two to see if they are wet,if
dry you know your not getting gas. Take the intake hose off of
the carb and hold your palm over the carb intake,try to start it.
That is the biggest choke you will ever used,it only feels like
it will pull your hand into the carb(it won t) And the trick to
steer it not running, is a long pty bar between the back of the
front tire and the axle leg. If winching it on, make sure the hi
low shifter is in neutral.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back