7200 planter choice

8850dave

Which version of the JD 7200 planter would work best planting about 500 acres a year some conventional and some no-til. I would want trash wheels and no-til coulters and insecticide or should I look at newer model 1760 0r 1770 ?? I just want to plant corn with this planter as I have a Kinze 3600 ASD 12-24 planter which I want to just plant beans.

what kind of soil conditions do you plant in? Are you looking at a 12 row, or what size?

A local used planter dealer won't sell a 1760, that should say a little something.

I'd look for a conservation frame model. The earliest 7200 vaccuums had a different hopper, and those are not adaptable to newer precision meters- something to consider.

If you have rocks, plant on the contour, or other difficult conditions, you might want a planter with the newer cast opener frame. The older ones can bend in tough conditions (think rocks) when combined with unit mounted no till coulters.

If you are no tilling into bean ground, just about anything will work!

Don't know why they won't sell a 1760. I looked at 7200's and 1760's before I bought the latter. Better lift system, better drive system, and better flex system. No contest in my estimation. It's been a great planter for me. Mike

I think the issue was with some frame (or maybe lift) cracking vs the 1770. I don't remember the details. I do know the guy is a pretty concientious guy, and have no reason to doubt his judgement.

I sold 10 1760s 12 row to every one 1770 planters. The only reason to sell JD 1770 12 row planters is if the customer wanted dry fertilizer. There could be the reason you jockey buddy can not find JD 1760 planters cheap enough to make any money reselling them. JD 1760 12 row FLEX planters can easily bring $30-40K here. A JD 1770 front fold will be hard pressed to make $30K. They are so heavy that they eat Horsepower in the hills around here.

If you go with a 7200 look for a conservation version. I use a conventional 7200 12 row in about the same conditions you talk about. For one thing, the no till guys are going away from Coulter’s and just using trash whippers. The major problem I have had is getting enough down pressure to the units no tilling into corn stalks without the frame lifting. Last spring I finally added 1200 pounds of tractor front end weights to the frame, 600 pounds to each wing, and I finally could put enough down pressure to the row units to get good penetration and even depth control. This is with Kinze double down pressure springs in place of the Deere down pressure springs. I have shark tooth trash whippers and they work fine but they tend to lift the planter unit a bit if used aggressively. Shark tooth whippers don’t fluff the trash quite as much as straight fingers do. They push it aside instead.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back