730 Diesel head gasket question

Scott 730

Removed the clear shrink wrap from my new head gasket and found it has a slightly sticky clear coating on it. I am not sure how to proceed now. I was all set to spray copper coat on it before installing it, until I unwrapped it. So, what is on it to give it that sticky feeling? Do I remove that, and spray copper coat on it? Spray copper over it? Install it as it is now?? This threw me a curve ball I wasn't expecting. Thank you for any advice.

that gasket dont need any copper coat. it is most likely a sealant on there. many times that is how the gasket is preserved. and if it was
mine i would clean it and use permatex high tack gasket sealer on it. thats what i do. been using this for 50 years. your pick.

Just heard back from the vendor I purchased the kit from. They say to soak the head gasket in 30w oil for 5 minutes and bolt it together. The film on the face of the gasket is for rust protection they say. So confusing..............

(quoted from post at 02:16:40 12/03/22) I figured thats what it was. Good luck

so.............. do I clean it off and apply sealer, or do the oil soak???

The gasket is thin steel sheets on either side of some sort of a hard, blackish core, which won't likely absorb the oil anyway. So, why oil it?? I still don't get it......................

I think I will clean off the factory "sealer" and apply my own. No oil.

This post was edited by Scott 730 on 12/03/2022 at 06:40 am.

(quoted from post at 10:39:25 12/03/22)
If it were me, I'd do the oil soak.

What will that do to a seemingly impervious gasket core? With the steel faces being rolled or crimped at every hole in the gasket it would take forever for any oil to get into the middle areas of the gasket any how.

This post was edited by Scott 730 on 12/03/2022 at 06:43 am.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back