Cummings 5.9L Head Gasket

There’s been a good bit of talk on the Cummins forum about new heads not being flat resulting in head gasket issues
5.9 Cummins has reusable torque to yield head bolts, those bolts have a max bolt length allowed for bolt stretch.
What brand head gasket did you use, Cummins, Felpro, Mahle are the better brands
Although the head gaskets come with print o seal sealant on the gasket for dry insulation, I spray a coat of Copper Spray O Gasket adhesive on both sides of the head gasket before insulating it
Abilene Machine. Not sure of brand…Head said China! Thanks for the info!

Is the turbo an above the manifold type, most power units and tractors are? Did you pull the turbo off the manifold? If not I would suggest pulling it off to see if oil is coming back down the exhaust manifold. Although it should not get in the cylinders that way. Are you sure there is not sign of oil in the intake side after the turbo? What makes you say the oil on the pistons is not from the rings? Is this an irrigation power unit?

Is the turbo an above the manifold type, most power units and tractors are? Did you pull the turbo off the manifold? If not I would suggest pulling it off to see if oil is coming back down the exhaust manifold. Although it should not get in the cylinders that way. Are you sure there is not sign of oil in the intake side after the turbo? What makes you say the oil on the pistons is not from the rings? Is this an irrigation power unit?
Yes it is above manifold and I did pull turbo off manifold. Saw oil coming out of exhaust ports. Not a turbo problem. It is an irrigation power unit. The head shop called me while ago and said he had to take .005 off of the head. It was warped. Brand new Chinese head, and he said they do use Chinese heads, but they go ahead and mill them because they do not come finished like they should. I hope that is what was causing my problem. Thanks!

Remain sorry to hear of the troubles. Can you recover the original head? Reminds me of the Official Cummings "Made in Brazil" B series blocks. Crap! Now days pays to machine OEM, even if "used" becomes same $, and takes an extra few days.

Post Script quote: "Lest we forget, the bitterness of Poor Quality remains long after the sweetness of Low Price is forgotten.."

Get a good quality brand head gasket, even if it is a dry install gasket I like to coat both sides with copper spray
Chase the threads in the block, I get the best torque using ARP blue thread lube

My thoughts; and use information that others have suggested, good advice. But even a new head, have gasket surfaces planed - head gasket side, intake gasket, exhaust gasket.. Have all valves and seats ground and install valve stem seals on the intake valves. Wet stacking can be from low compression,, the reason why to check valves??? Head gasket, use a great gasket and gasket cement .. Such as K-W Copper Coat spray.. Spray both sides of the head gasket .. Run engine to get hot and retorque head bolts again.. Original turbo can be inspected, and probably is OK??? Get this engine running, coolant temp up to 200 degrees F plus ... Put it to work, and Do Not let it IDLE. Done with work, let cool and shut-off....

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back