806 Sleeves

CP1

Tell me again..
Remember reading how folks run a welder bead inside the sleeve to get them to pull easier? Any suggestions or what not to do?
65 years old now and with my homemade puller, it s wearing me out. Done it many times before, but looking for suggestions on making it easier. Thanks

(quoted from post at 08:56:43 04/11/23)
65 years old now and with my homemade puller, it s wearing me out. Done it many times before, but looking for suggestions on making it easier. Thanks

65? You are still a young kid!

if your a decent welder then run a bead on each side of the sleeve. they pretty much pull out with your fist. use less heat and weld fast not
to burn a hole through! this is where it dont matter if your weld looks like grapes.

Just be sure welding spatter can't land anywhere that causes damage, like on a crankshaft bearing surface or any machined surfaces like the deck of the block.

Yea ya can run a few beads of weld with a low penetrating on low heat like a 7024 rod but man you don't want to burn thru . Yep 806 sleeves can come out real hard and i have had them move a whisker and stop dead in there tracks and even with 17 1/2 tons on the gauge not move a lick . Now listen to what i tell you here , These are NOT and engine for and novice to be rebuilding . It is not just a matter of pulling out the old and stuffen in new . The blocks on the D 361 an D 407's can have core shift , they can be out of round , they can be out of alignment with the center line of the main bearing . I like to have the main bearing bore line bored then have the cylinder bores bored .010 over and have then bored off the center line of the crank . Next up is fitting each sleeve to the bore for a tight press fit then press the sleeves in then FIT each piston to the hole it is going in as them pistions are NOT all the same size and neither are the sleeves . Sometimes you have to rehone sleeves for the proper piston to wall clearance . Doing the valve job on a 361-407 has to be done by the book as this can mean the difference between a good starting engine and a pour starting engine or if the valves hit the pistons. And you don't DRIVE the new sleeves in they are PRESSED IN .

The over sized sleeves , they make a .010 oversize and they have for years . the inside bore is std. but the outside is the .010 over for truing up the bores , i have had two blocks that the ten would not bring then back in align and we had to do a repair sleeve over bore then bore it back to take the ten. . Also ya want to resize both ends of the rod's and check the crank WELL . Never LINE HONE the block always line BORE . Honing removes meat from both the main cap and block where line boring just dusts the block to cure any problems and the meat is taken out of the caps . I never use the standard sleeves . Put a bore gauge or mic.'s to the block and you will see .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back