821 w/4 speed input shaft load bearing snap ring?

marlin54

So as long as I have the input shaft out and replacing the seal for the shaft , the bearing is also worn too much to not replace it...So Im looking at the bearing housing and to me I see a groove that would match up after I would press the new bearing in....but I dont see a snap ring on here? So am I missing this clip? Or is there not one supposed to be in there? Also when I got the seal from the bearing place he told me the seal goes in this way and I wanted to check.? I put it in like in the picture....And just for reference....because with these Fords and people swapping engines, rear ends, trans you never can go by serial numbers...It was a 821, no 3 pt or pto, a 4 speed and NOT HI/LOW , 15 spline shaft...The original bearing is made by Hoover and number is # 208.....40mm ID 80mm OD 18 mm wide...so my bearing dealer here wants $80 for a replacement.... So I looked on Amazon and found several different ones from different manufactures....any where from $100 and down ....so a good replacement ...So I I found this WJB 6208....$6 dollars and $5.99 shipping............after reading the details , its made for this type of work and . ..so Im going with this bearing..according to what I read its made for this type of work...4,000 lbs load , high rpms, and made for clutches, and transmissions....its exact same dimensions...and looks exactly the same ...
So back to the snap ring? Do you think I need one and is there a part number from Ford? I have looked here and at other places like stieners..nothing..?

Attachments

• 20240328_033228.jpg
    20240328_033228.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 20240328_034949.jpg
    20240328_034949.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240328_042823.jpg
    20240328_042823.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
The WJB 6200 series deep groove ball bearing is an open ball bearing with a single-row deep-groove geometry for high speeds and supporting both radial and axial loads. The bearing has an open configuration for lubrication in place and applications involving minimal exposure to dirt, grime, debris, and other contaminants. This 6200 series deep groove open ball bearing is for use in applications that involve combined radial and axial loads and a need for high running accuracy and stiffness at high rotational speeds. Such applications include clutches, drives, gearboxes, compressors, pumps, turbines, and printing and textile machines, among others.
Rolling bearings use rolling elements to maintain the separation between moving parts to reduce rotational friction and support radial and axial loads. These elements can be one of the following types: ball, cylindrical, spherical, barrel, needle, spindle, or tapered. All rolling bearings are open, shielded, or sealed. Sealed bearings are lubricated with oil or grease in the bearing factory, while open and shielded bearings are meant to be lubricated in place, with periodic reapplication of lubrication, based on use. The shield protects the working parts of the bearing from environmental debris that may be introduced and could reduce the ball bearing speed and lifespan. Rolling bearings are used in a range of applications from agricultural machinery to conveying equipment, robotics, dental equipment, elevators, rolling mills, ship rudder shafts, and aggregate crushers, among others.

WJB Bearings, Inc. manufactures various types of bearings and components including ball and roller bearings, bronze bushings, and sprockets and chains. The company, founded in 1992, is based in City of Industry, CA.

So as long as I have the input shaft out and replacing the seal for the shaft , the bearing is also worn too much to not replace it...So Im looking at the bearing housing and to me I see a groove that would match up after I would press the new bearing in....but I dont see a snap ring on here? So am I missing this clip? Or is there not one supposed to be in there? Also when I got the seal from the bearing place he told me the seal goes in this way and I wanted to check.? I put it in like in the picture....And just for reference....because with these Fords and people swapping engines, rear ends, trans you never can go by serial numbers...It was a 821, no 3 pt or pto, a 4 speed and NOT HI/LOW , 15 spline shaft...The original bearing is made by Hoover and number is # 208.....40mm ID 80mm OD 18 mm wide...so my bearing dealer here wants $80 for a replacement.... So I looked on Amazon and found several different ones from different manufactures....any where from $100 and down ....so a good replacement ...So I I found this WJB 6208....$6 dollars and $5.99 shipping............after reading the details , its made for this type of work and . ..so Im going with this bearing..according to what I read its made for this type of work...4,000 lbs load , high rpms, and made for clutches, and transmissions....its exact same dimensions...and looks exactly the same ...
So back to the snap ring? Do you think I need one and is there a part number from Ford? I have looked here and at other places like stieners..nothing..?
The parts manual shows no snap ring - and also a cone/cup bearing. I'm not sure what's going on with that. Perhaps a 4-speed expert will show up with some explanation.
4 speed - 1.jpeg
4 speed - 2.jpeg

Thanks..but this looks like a 8n ,9n ectt trans.......I think the 4 speed I have in the 600, 800 900 ect...is a different...style?

Thanks..but this looks like a 8n ,9n ectt trans.......I think the 4 speed I have in the 600, 800 900 ect...is a different...style?
It's out of this manual - should be appropriate for an 821 - I have no experience, I've been thru a couple of 5 speeds, this manual works for them.
4 speed manual - 1.jpeg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back