841D Elenco home after rebuild

I just got my 841 diesel back from having a total rebuild on the engine. Been about 6 months and cost me a mint, but once started I had to go for broke....and did! (might have to sell my 8N to help pay for it) They did a thorough job though. Just about every part in engine replaced or rebuilt from camshaft to oil dipstick tube, and rebuilt injection pump. New clutch too. I"m anxious to take it out and break it in, but getting kinda late in the season. THinking about slapping the hood back on it and taking it out to do the last bit of tilling and seeding of winter rye, but not sure worth the trouble. There"s no weight in the rear so I"d have to slap on pie weights, and the 3pt hydraulics aren"t working properly. Could still drag and pull using the drawbar though. But for now, only a few small jobs need done before I can take it out including finishing putting together the front end, but will take a few late nights. Kinda hate to let it sit in the shed over the winter without breaking it in, but assume that won"t do any harm. What do you think, should I try and break it in now or keep it inside until spring?
Couple pics as it sits now.
<a href="http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/turtleman1/?action=view&current=IM001835.jpg" target="_blank">
IM001835.jpg" border="0" alt="841 rebuilt2
</a>

<a href="http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/turtleman1/?action=view&current=IM001833.jpg" target="_blank">
IM001833.jpg" border="0" alt="841 rebuilt1
</a>

Pre-rebuild pic from last year
<a href="http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/turtleman1/?action=view&current=841elencopic2.jpg" target="_blank">
841elencopic2.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>

I would 100% go out and plow with it thru the hardest stuff you have for at least 2 hours. 8 would be better. Check fluids after 15 min, 60 min, 4 hours and end of the day (if you go 8 or more).

The chrome rings on the diesel NEED (!!) to have a pretty heavy load put on them to seat or you can easily glaze the cylinders and always have low compression.

jb

If it were me, I"d want to know NOW if the rebuild was successful with no glitches...not next spring when the shop can claim your 3 month warranty is lapsed.

I think I would find someone that had a dyno and break the engine in with it. If anything goes wrong with the engine rebuild then may be the ones that did the engine would fix it. If you wait until next spring to run it hard and something goes wrong then they will say that it has been to long after the rebuild to be under warainty.

I'd do like the others say and run it now. I'd also run it every now and then during the winter just to keep it oiled up good inside.

I have a 1960 841D the tractor was all rebuit and was in excellent condition. It was in a barn fire I"m trying to find a price on what the tractor is worth can any body answer this ?

Depends on how severe she was burnt! are we talking total melt down or minor wounds just paint and maybe the tires?

(quoted from post at 22:05:41 11/30/09) I have a 1960 841D the tractor was all rebuit and was in excellent condition. It was in a barn fire I"m trying to find a price on what the tractor is worth can any body answer this ?

As Forddoc said, value will depend on how bad the damage is. However, I'm wondering if you're really asking "What was it worth before the fire for insurance purposes?" My answer to that would be anywhere from $10,000 to $15,000 if in excellent condition. Hopefully you have photos of it to support the excellent condition claim.

Feron has restored several of these and would have a better estimate of market value of an Elenco Ford in excellent condition.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back