8n 1951 PTO-HYDRAULICS-GEARS ALL QUIT SAME TIME

(quoted from post at 20:20:44 07/21/23) 8N D. Looks like the serial numbers are above it. I ll have to work on that a little bit to make them out.

i'm not sure what it is, but that's not a serial number there. the 8N D casting number indicates that part, at least, is newer than the transmission. maybe got swapped when the sherman was put in. are there dates cast into the forward faces of the rear axle trumpets? if they have dates, they should be easy to spot, no wire brush needed. if not, i believe that indicates they are 1946 or older.

(reply to post at 16:41:15 07/21/23)
Sorry for the delay, but I think this is what you re looking for. I believe it s a 9n. with 8N motor possibly. Sending some pictures now I m not getting up I m done no be quiet so I get done on this phone. Darn could that be at 43?

[img:41e2a570b2]https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto107714.png[/img
This was taken on the lift arm plainly says 9N 543

(quoted from post at 18:36:18 07/21/23) The serial number on that lift arm is 9N 543

9N543 is the PART NUMBER for the lift arm.

There is one SERIAL NUMBER for the tractor and another poster has showed you where it is located on the ENGINE BLOCK.

Between the old filter and the starter and below head there is a plate but the numbers are completely gone if that is the location

(quoted from post at 23:28:20 07/21/23) Between the old filter and the starter and below head there is a plate but the numbers are completely gone if that is the location

yes, that's the location. the numbers are nowhere near as obvious as the part and casting numbers you have been looking at. they are stamped, not raised, and very shallow. they were hand-stamped. they are almost certainly not completely gone, but simply need some careful effort to expose them. i own two tractors of this vintage. both took significant effort on my part before i could read their serial numbers.

The tractor in the photo is a 9N or 2N. It is not an 8N.

The Sherman auxiliary transmission is an OD/direct only.

(quoted from post at 05:41:10 07/22/23) The tractor in the photo is a 9N or 2N. It is not an 8N.

The Sherman auxiliary transmission is an OD/direct only.

So...what I'm curious about is this...

2N and 9N had the same motor, transmission etc.

8N is very similar, some of the early ones even had the front distributor.

Could this tractor be a 9N/2N back end with an 8N motor?

Let's say he splits the machine and needs clutch parts...

Does he need to know what the motor is? Was there a difference in clutch parts depending on if you had...

9N/2N motor with 9N/2N transmission
Or
9N/2N motor with 8N transmission
Or
8N motor with 9N/2N transmission
Or
8N motor with 8N transmission

All I know about the 8N motors is that they had a few more cubic inches of displacement. Did they also change any of the clutch parts along with it?...as in, make them a little heavier to account for the HP?

I don't know, the answer to this, but I have a hunch this tractor may be a mongrel and it's going to matter.

So, by having that type of transmission when one thing quits working everything quicks but the motor correct. So I need to get a plan to split the tractor and see what has come loose or possibly go through by the starter first and see if I could see maybe somethings come loose through there, was planning on putting a clutch in at some point, but not till winter, but it looks like winter has came early if I take it apart and do not find anything loose and replace the clutch put it back together. Is there anyway to check before I put it back together to see if everything is actually working like it should before I put Tractor back together? Thanks for your reply in advance.

Thanks for your help in this for sure, sounds like I definitely need to have that clutch to be out of tractor so I know what it s got in there first possibly or make sure I put a heavy duty clutch back in. But before ordering one sounds as though the 8n clutch is different from the 2n or 9n. Again thanks for your help in advance.

I don't think pulling the starter is worth your time, it's not going to let you see anything and even if you did you still have to split the tractor.
Clutch, if it failed, should be obvious to see.

That acording to the radious rods is a 2N but that being a 2N or 9N makes
no difference on your problem same as makes no difference if it is a
replacement engine. for your situation, would only make a difference if
engine problems. That is not a plate on the block but a flat casting spot
and to see the numbers take a wire brush and shine up that spot to mirrow
brightness. Get all the paint off as well as dirt, grease or rust and
those numbers will show up unless it is a replacement block that on
installation was never stamped, still not connected to your problem. I
have both a 9N that I have had for 20 years and a 2N for 79 years, both
have the sherman hi-lo in and it does have a netural position and it can
jump out of high position if the detent in transmission is not working,
still not your problem, If engine is running with clutch up you CANNOT
shift either the Shermam or main transmission into gear so that says it
has to be in the clutch that is not enguaging or shaft broke between
clutcj and sherman. So it will have to be split. If that shaft or clutch
was good you could not get either transmissin in gear with tractor
running. I don't know enough about clutches to help there but it has to be
ahead of the Shermasn transmission to make your problem.

i just replied to you email, sorry i didn't see it till just now. hope it helps.

i don't think your sherman has anything to do with the issue at this point. you ruled out the sherman being in neutral - yours doesn't have a neutral, and that's by far the most likely way for the sherman to have produced these symptoms (less likely is that something in the sherman broke. were there any BANGs associated with the failure?) the tractor acts like the clutch has failed, which is unaffected by the presence or lack of an additional trans like the sherman. a failed clutch would produce the same symptoms in my 2N, and i don't have a sherman or other auxiliary trans in it.

the transmission in an N powers the PTO, which in turn powers the hydraulic pump. when the the clutch stops transmitting engine power to the drive train, all of these things stop working.

Sounds like I definitely need to replace the clutch then regardless will all the 8-2-9 N tractors have the same Clutch and pressure plate kits or will the 8N be different? I assume when I order I need to have a 9 inch heavy duty kit Thanks again to everyone.

(quoted from post at 12:13:09 07/22/23) Sounds like I definitely need to replace the clutch then regardless will all the 8-2-9 N tractors have the same Clutch and pressure plate kits or will the 8N be different? I assume when I order I need to have a 9 inch heavy duty kit Thanks again to everyone.

same clutch.

f his Sherman does not have a netrual it is odd because both of mine do have
a netrual and I don't think mine is any different than all the others I see.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back