8N with tons of steering play and wobbly tires

shevett

New User
Hey folks - my 8N is back from an entire engine rebuild and has the dreaded 'wobbly steering' problem (clarification: it had this before, but it by far the least of the problems). I thought perhaps the problem was the drag links, since the dust boots on the rear end of the links were torn up, but they seem okay.

It's loose enough that in 4th gear the front wheels wobble like crazy.

Here's a video of the play problem...

The question is do I start hunting around for an 8N steering box (which I've seen on the stores fro around $600 - ow), or is this something that can be repaired?

What year is your 8N?
There was an early style steering box and newer style.
Let us know which you have.
On either one, start by adjusting the sector gears on the steering box.
Next, there are tie rod ends on the front and rear of the drag links. Rock the steering wheel back and forth watch the tie rod ends closely for any slop. There is no adjustment on them so if they are loose/sloppy replace them.
Loose steering can also be caused by worn spindle bushings in the axle knees.
Jack the front axle about an inch off the ground, grab the tire top and bottom and shake the spindles back and forth and side to side. Look for slop in the spindle bushings.
Grab the front of the axle - like a bull by the horns and watch to see how much slop is in the back ends of the radius rods where they bolt to the transmission.
Use your jack to lift and lower the front tires and watch to see how much slop is in the bushing in the center of the axle.
Check the center hubs where the front wheels bolt on. Tighten the wheel bearings if needed.
Lastly, check the toe-in of the front wheels.
If you don't have an I&T FO-4 manual GET ONE! and read the sections on front axle and steering.
Be aware that a little looseness here and a bit of slop there compounds and multiplies at the several moving points between the steering wheel and the tire.
These are very simple, one might say primitive old tractors and easy to work on. All required parts are still readily available

I just went out and checked - it's the earlier style steering box (with the round mounting plate). If you look at the video, you can see there's no slop in the drag link ends. This is all in the box.

From what I'm seeing on the interwebz, this early style of steering box is hard to repair. Should I just bite the bullet and start shopping for a new box? I'm not sure if you can bolt on the new box on the older mounts.

Okay, I wasnt going to install an app to view the video but on second try was able to watch on secret mode.
Yeah that slop is in your steering box.
Try adjusting it per the manual.
If it has reached its limits of adjustment it can't be fixed. The new style box is way superior and a similar style was used untill the 1980s. I would hesitate to buy one off ebay, etc. You might get one that was used on a loader tractor which could have more issues than you want to fix.
The new style is very simple.

Okay, I wasnt going to install an app to view the video but on second try was able to watch on secret mode.
If it has reached its limits of adjustment it can't be fixed. The new style box is way superior and a similar style was used untill the 1980s. I would hesitate to buy one off ebay, etc. You might get one that was used on a loader tractor which could have more issues than you want to fix.

I found the operators manual - which has a section describing setting the steering sector clearance. I'm not sure that's what needs to be touched, is it? I mean, is this 'loosen the 4 bolts, rotate the gearing housing to tighten it up, and then bolt it down again'?

1713562840674.png

Ultra dog,
I am new to forums, so this may be wrong place to post a question. If so ,let me know. I have a Ford tractor, that I believe is a 9n. Serial number is illegible. Front distributor and tubular radius rods. Is this a 9n ? It has a seized up steering box. Are the steering boxes interchangeable between 9n and 8n?
Thanks, Norman Hughes

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back