97' F-150 wiring experts?

S.Crum

I'm still scabbing together Bonnie's old F-150 so I have a spare (and cheaper to run) truck to drive to work. The front bumper was rusted beyond repair so I bought a nice used one off Craigslist for $50. This bumper has the factory fog lights in it which the original did not, this truck is a base model. The truck does however have the wiring harness for the foglights. I found that there is no power to the plugs that plug into the bulbs. The fuses listed in the owner's manual for the foglights are in place and ok. Looking at the wiring diagram I have, it shows a "DRL module" and a relay for the fog lamps.
I cannot find this module or relay on the truck or their location in the manual I have. Any idea where these might be on the truck? Or where they are supposed to be? I did find one wiring connector bound to the side of the main fuse box in the engine compartment with 2 wires that is factory deadended. It would be nice to get these lights working, otherwise I'll have to black them out to get the truck through Pa. inspection. Thanks

Great! I'll look in that area. I printed off that diagram. I'm wondering if the truck not being equiped originally with the foglights, whether Ford installed the module and relay to start with. I'm pretty sure they used a "standard harness".
Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the link! I copied it to my favorites so I can refer back to it. I may just cover the lenses with tape and paint them for now and wait until warmer weather gets here to pursue this.

I have a 97 150 in the garage, bought it new. It does not have DRL. It's just the XL model with V6 and 5 speed, SWB, Stepside box.

I may be wrong but I think it need a headlight switch that pulls out to work those lights

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=386811

My wife's 2001 has fog lights and they are turned on by pulling out on the headlight switch. FWIW we hardly ever use them, they really don't seem to do too much.

I looked this nightmare over again tonight then stepped back and collected my thoughts on what this project was intended to be. I'm not even going to start into the harness on this. I'm just going to pull a 14 gage wire out from the dash and hook in a heavy toggle switch and 15 amp fuse and hook these up "old fashion" style. This is a work truck and certainly no show piece. Thanks everyone for your help and comments.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back