9n charging @ 20 volts on a 6 volt system

9n Nate

New User
i have had the generator rebuilt and changed the cut out but it is charging way to much out of the generator post. just dont want to keep throwing parts at it . it is original generator . rebuilt.

i have had the generator rebuilt and changed the cut out but it is charging way to much out of the generator post. just dont want to keep throwing parts at it . it is original generator . rebuilt.

The cutout points may not be closing or not making contact, if they are.

On the other hand, what sort of meter are you using, some digital meters get freaked out by the electrical noise from this old stuff and give crazy readings

IF the cutout is closing and a good 6 Volt battery is in the circuit it would take quite a generator to "pull up" the battery voltage to 20 Volts!
I sort of thought that myself. That's why it was posted as a question not a statement.

Did you polarize the generator? A piece of wire on both poles of the cutout [momentarily] should produce a spark while the motor isn't running.

Did your rebuilder rebuild it for 6 volts, or 12. If you didn't tell him, then today's standard is 12V, and that might be what you got. Hard to get 20V out of a 6V generator. zuhnc
"Hard to get 20V out of a 6V generator"........not when there is no load on a 3 brush 9N generator....BTDT.

Interesting topic. There can be a very large difference of measured voltage being created by a generator in a closed circuit, as compared to an open circuit. A closed circuit if wired correctly and connected to the battery should have a voltage a little greater than the battery's fully charged voltage. If the circuit is opened and the generator output is dead headed the measured voltage can be much higher. Generators of all kinds are rated with an open circuit voltage and a power output, (amperage) at operating voltage. I am curious as to how a "non electronic" generator can be rebuilt to increase the 6v to 12v. I am not questioning that it can or cannot be done but if it can be done the nerd in me would love to know/see the process.

Increase the magnetic field strength. In those old 3 brush generators, the field current goes up as generator output voltage goes up and when there is no voltage regulator, just a cut out, voltage (thus field current) builds & builds with no load. If loaded , as with battery connected, then voltage is somewhat limited by the battery & thus field current. To the extreme, output on these 3 brush units will drop to zero when the "load" is a short circuit, as the field is no longer powered.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back