A big cloud?

alhemrich

New User
Hi all.

I'm a newbie, so please be patient.

I just finished up a couple of hours of shredding my pasture on a Ford 4000 that I recently bought for my dad. I am still not sure of the year as I have that posted in another thread.

As I was sitting in the shop I heard what sounded like a release of steam from my tractor and I looked over to see a big white cloud coming out of it. Temp gauge doesn't work, but it has coolant and all levels look good.

I went over and checked things out and saw what looked to me like power steering fluid had been sprayed around the engine area. Although this unit does not have power steering. Release appears to have come from the right side of the tractor and it won't start now.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 17138359208125560530908855116683.jpg
    17138359208125560530908855116683.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 312
I'm guessing the ignition coil blew the oil out of itself. Time for a new coil. Was the key left on? Usually that's what causes them to overheat and blow up.
Hey Bob.

You are exactly right! I failed to add that I had mistakenly left the key on. Thank you for the diagnosis, sir!

Guess I'm parts shopping now...

Thanks again.

Alhemrich

Hey Bob.

You are exactly right! I failed to add that I had mistakenly left the key on. Thank you for the diagnosis, sir!

Guess I'm parts shopping now...

Thanks again.

Alhemrich
The breaker points have likely been "burned" as well, but the condenser wouldn't have been affected. It's probably a better idea to keep the old condenser in service than to replace it with a new one that MAY be of lesser quality and reliability. Unless you are going to the FIAT/cnh dealer and are going to an auto parts store you will need to know whether or not your tractor uses a primary or "ballast" resistor, I don't know, offhand, but the GURUS on the "Ford-specific" Board lower down on the page would know.

GOOD LUCK!

Hi all.

I just finished up a couple of hours of shredding my pasture on a Ford 4000 that I recently bought for my dad. I am still not sure of the year as I have that posted in another thread.

As I was sitting in the shop I heard what sounded like a release of steam from my tractor and I looked over to see a big white cloud coming out of it. Temp gauge doesn't work, but it has coolant and all levels look good.

I went over and checked things out and saw what looked to me like power steering fluid had been sprayed around the engine area. Although this unit does not have power steering. Release appears to have come from the right side of the tractor and it won't start now.

Any ideas?
Way back in the 70s I had a VW bug that was 6 volts but I didn't know it was so I had a 12 volt battery in it. I left the ignition turned on and the coil blew up and when it did my dad was walking by it and he said it sounded like a shotgun going off. Made a big mess under the hood with a lot of oil and what ever else is in the coil

Hi all.

Any ideas?
Another piece of advice is to remove the distributor cap (for checking the points) and clean it with paper towels and WD40 (the original WD, not penetrating or other sub species of WD. That is the one thing WD40 is made for. Jim

Way back in the 70s I had a VW bug that was 6 volts but I didn't know it was so I had a 12 volt battery in it. I left the ignition turned on and the coil blew up and when it did my dad was walking by it and he said it sounded like a shotgun going off. Made a big mess under the hood with a lot of oil and what ever else is in the coil
My Dad just told me he had that same thing happen on an old JD he had!

Hi all.

Any ideas?
You have an older model 4 cylinder 4000, not a "modern" 3 cylinder when you go parts shopping.

Good evening, all.

So I replaced the coil and still didn't get spark. When I turned the tractor over with the cap and dust cap removed, the points never opened. So, I adjusted the points to gap at .025 and put everything back together. Still no spark. After watching a video and putting a tester on power and turning the engine over, I got no flash in the tester light. It just stayed on and slightly dimmed while turning over. Points need to be replaced you think, or something else?

Thanks in advance for your time to respond.

Alhemrich

Replace the points and condenser. With the points closed long enough to burn up the coil. Good bet the points and condenser are also shot.
Thought that might be the case, but appreciate the response!

Any tips on how to ensure I get alignment on the points with the lobes for gap measurement without removing the distributor assembly?

Thank you again!

Replace the points and condenser. With the points closed long enough to burn up the coil. Good bet the points and condenser are also shot.
WHY replace a likely "good" condenser?

Leaving the ignition switch on and overheating the coil and points has NO effect on the condenser.

WHY replace a likely "good" condenser?

Leaving the ignition switch on and overheating the coil and points has NO effect on the condenser.
Thank you for the response.

So, should I replace the points in your opinion, or something else? Just trying to clarify.

Thank you again.

Alhemrich

I agree with wore out, replace the points leave the condenser. Seems to be so much trouble with replacement condensers now a days. Just take the cap off and install the points with the distributor in place turn engine over till the points are opened and set gap. when you're done pull a folded up dollar bill thru them to clean any film off the new points.

As a follow up, I wanted to ask for opinions on the area circled in red in the attached photo.

The little clip that attached to the stud / lead for power coming in to the distributor must have been damaged by the PO and replaced with a wire. I've ordered a new one, since this wire looks toasted, but wondering about what other issues I might need to think about with insulators, etc.

Any thoughts on what else I may want to order and sources?

Thanks all. Awesome group of people!
1000005177.jpg

As a follow up, I wanted to ask for opinions on the area circled in red in the attached photo.

The little clip that attached to the stud / lead for power coming in to the distributor must have been damaged by the PO and replaced with a wire. I've ordered a new one, since this wire looks toasted, but wondering about what other issues I might need to think about with insulators, etc.

Any thoughts on what else I may want to order and sources?

Thanks all. Awesome group of people!View attachment 69352
That wire shows at some point there was a hard short or the ignition was left on for a long time either way it needs to be fixed/replaced

That wire shows at some point there was a hard short or the ignition was left on for a long time either way it needs to be fixed/replaced
Agreed. Do you know if there's a good source for all the parts needed? I'm new to this whole thing.

Thanks in advance!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back