AC CA Rewire

I posted the in the AC forum but then it occurred to me that these are general questions so posting here as well. I am rewiring a 12v system with a one wire 10Si alternator with the 1 and 2 pin posts. I am trying to determine what gauge wire to use from the number 1 pin post back to the voltmeter. I am also curious what gauge wire to run from the coil back to on/off switch. I bought a new voltmeter from TS that has a small light in it. The leads from the light run down to two +/- post on the voltmeter that are separate from the main post. I have not seen this on a voltmeter before. Would this take place of having to put a LED indicator light in line? Posted a pic of the back of it below (not finished wiring obviously). Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

cvphoto125011.jpg

run the wire that was on the regulator to the battery bolt on the alternator to the amp gauge then run one to the stater/battery cable snip the others off and done. Or tape them over individually then as a group.

I too will question, is that an amp meter or a volt meter?

If it is a volt meter, the nuts are for mounting only, not electrical connections. The small red and white wires are the instrument wires, red to be connected to the ignition side of the ignition switch, white to ground.

I don't see any insulators under the nuts. If that is true, then there will be a direct dead short when the battery is connected!

As for the alternator wiring, if it is truly a 'one wire' alternator (an internally different regulator), it will only use one wire, the large BAT stud on the back. That wire needs to be a #10 gauge directly to a positive battery connection, usually at the amp meter (not the volt meter), or the starter solenoid or mechanical switch battery post.

All the other wiring needs to be 12 or 14 gauge stranded low voltage automotive wire. Stranded house wire will work but it is stiffer, harder to work with, and less vibration resistant.

Steve, I think we are on the same track that those terminals are direct to ground. However, I believe it is a voltmeter he says he received no real instructions with it, so he has misinterpreted how it should connect. Read my replies on the Allis board in the link.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back