Adding remotes to MF 65

farmer_al

New User
I've seen some kits to add remotes to a MF65. Just wondering two questions.

1. Do you need to add additional fluid to the tran/diff to make up for the fluid in use with the hydraulics?

2. Since the fluid in the tran/diff is GL-1, will that still work for hydraulics? Should I switch to tractor hydraulic fluid or is that a bad idea? I know the diff may or may not have brass bushings which is why GL-1 is supposed to be used.

1) No, adding additional fluid shouldn't be needed. Disclaimer: My 65 was bought used around 1967 and already had remotes installed. I'd check with Agco and see if two different dip sticks were ever offered. Also, double acting cylinders will not affect the oil level very much. Single acting will lower the level of course.

2) GL-1 will work. Heavy oil will be slower, especially in winter. I use Permatran in mine. I did this on advice from Big Dean who used to post here before he died. He was a Massey mechanic who gained my trust. So far-so good.

I got two more questions.

1. I'm thinking of using Hygard instead of permatran. Seems like they are nearly the same. Hytran is a little closer but I'd like to run hygard in everything. Bad idea? I mean permatran seems to work for most people in the MF 65 and I'd think Hygard would really be the same.

2. In the power steering pump, I've been running Dextron III ATF fluid. Cylinder is leaking now. I have a rebuild kit but I'm wondering what you run for power steering fluid.

That power steering system is pretty simple, most any oil will work. Ok everybody cringe. I run engine oil in both of mine. Hygard will be fine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back