Another exciting day

After the surprise purchase and long drive home yesterday of the M tractor and sickle, I got the last piece of the hay-making puzzle today! A hay rake!!! And I finally got to the JD tractor store.
First, the most exciting or scary part: One of the very roads I took, part of my backroads excursion on the M yesterday, had a tornado come through today right before I got there. Or at the very least those straight lying winds. Ingram, WI. I took the same route today because this rake I bought was just some miles further south than the tractor was. There was a storm that passed over us as I was looking at the rakes today and hooking up the one I chose to go home, but it wasn't severe, just a lot of heavy rain, some thunder. So I was driving the rake home and up ahead I saw electric company rigs. I wondered what they were up to up there. Kept driving and started seeing branches on the road. Then started seeing trees broken. Then started seeing HUGE trees puuled over and uprooted! And big trees split down the middle. I'm thinkiing what is going on here??? Power lines snapped off. Scary. So the road eventually was blocked up ahead and I had to go out on the highway and drive there 6 miles before being able to get back to the quiet side roads. Surrounding towns are untouched.
Saw a brand new calf that had to have been born literally one minute before I went by. Still wet and wobbly and mama nudging him to stay up. Saw a big turtle. Saw lots of tiny deer, too. Deer births are so, so late this year.
So I was planning on getting the NI 402 with the dolly wheel in front, but it turned out that one was in bad bad shape, with the whole front end slanting diagonally. So I looked at the other two for sale and ended up with the other NI 402, but it doesn't have that 3rd wheel and is missing the belt and needs a few teeth. But it was $200, so I think with the items-needed cost, it'll be an acceptable price. From where's the best place to order side rake belts? And teeth. I don't have Tractor Supply or Fleet Farms in the area but I could make a drive to one if needed. The rake pulled really nice behind the truck at 30 mph(the one benefit of not having that 3rd wheel).
Got the chain I needed at the JD store. They were really nice there. Good guy that helped me.
So, so, so excited to have all the equipment needed to make my own hay. Now to get everything in working order...
Got that M tractor all tucked inside the garage last night. Good thing, too, since we've had storms all night and half the day.

mvphoto39572.jpg

mvphoto39573.jpg

mvphoto39574.jpg

mvphoto39575.jpg

Boy that?s a nice rake and the cat even had to come
check it out a nice big Tom . Maybe shoup parts for
rake teeth and Napa or any other place like that for
a belt

Nice rake! For what its worth, when you replace those rubber mounted teeth buy the metal spring type. I picked up a used rake years ago that was equipped with mostly rubber mounted, so I bought some from TSC to replace the missing ones. They didn't last thru the year! The rubber in them must be real cheap the sun just ate them up. Used spring type after that and never replaced one of those.

Was the rake just outside (west of)
Conrath? Guy named Zenny? The has some
good stuff, and occasionally some decent
deals... but you really have to look
stuff over close there.

Our son lives 6 miles NW of Ladysmith, and a tornado just went through his area, no damage on his property that he knows of.
Now he is going back to work to get the paper mill restarted, they shut down as a precaution during bad storms.

You like it?! Good. Chuck checks out everything. He's a good guy. Thanks so much for finding the teeth on Shoup! I've heard you guys mentioning that name before. So looks like I need something else at the top part to attach to the bar. It's dark now, I'll look tomorrow. Someone replaced all the meatl with rubber mounted so I hope the pieces needed to attach those are still there. I don't know how this machine works yet or how things are put together. We are having yet another big storm right now Some farms had rows of wet hay in the fields today :(

OH NO! You mean just, as in 8 pm? Or just, as in a few hours ago today? This is scary. We usually get our weather coming from Ladysmith direction.

We are about 30 miles east of Sheldon and have been to that JD Dealer many times they are easy to work with. We have a severe storm warning right know 70 mile winds sure don't need that Randy

Tractor Supply never carried any parts for them when new and not being a good brand and popular machine they will not have them now. What is that belt place mentioned on here, J Zee or something like that. Might just be only place to get it. That rake where it was made no body ever wanted it. Hope she has better luck than I expect .Probly have about same luck getting parts as going to auto parts store to get parts for an Edsel car.

OMG we are right in the line of severe storms and it's here I heard a tree crack and my daughter is on her way home. :(

The guy's son was there. Don't know if guy's name was zenny but yes just west right out of town. I don't know much about rakes yet, so wasn't sure what to check besides gearbox but this one didn't have a gearbox. Storm calmed down now.

I had a rake exactly like that and you won't believe this but the guys at CARQUEST looked up the sources for belts and such and came up with the correct belt.

Oh, same as NH would be good as seems NH is more available. Oooooo, yellow! And the attachy parts there, too. Let's see, then the rake would be orange, turquoise, and yellow. Like a big fiesta. :D A big party in the field. That would be fun.

What is "the catalog"? Thanks for finding these yellow ones, too. I have a hard time finding where to buy parts for things. This big thunder is making my ponies run all around. Dog is under the bed.

oh really?!!! Same shaped as the yellow ones? Are they made by NI since they are orange? Are you selling them? Did you have a NI rake and get rid of it or something? I'd buy them. Don't know if I need the things to attach them or not?

I have one of them rakes. Only piece of equipment my dad ever bought new and the only piece of equipment of his that I have. He gave it to my BIL and my BIL gave it back to me. It's raked a lot of hay through the years.

Rick

I am looking in the shoup paper catalog they send
out hopefully this link will take you to their contact
page and you can fill out your name and address
and ask them to please send a copy of the catalog it
sometimes is easier than looking online
Request a catalog

Congrsts on your rake! A couple more suggestions. First if you pull it with your truck again disconnect the drive shaft from the frame to the basket. Even though it is not turning the basket there is wear going on that is better to avoid. Second, When you go looking for tires, unless you want to spring for traction bar tread tires, look for some used snow tires to reduce tire dragging in heavy hay.

Hahaha cat is looking at the rake as if to say "You DO know you're going to need some new teeth, right?" Looking right at them. Looks like near-miss with the twister, good thing you dodged it, awesome force of nature. Had one pass very close to the house last year, like everyone says, "sounds like a freight train." Good luck with the haying, need to see some pics of the rake, the M and the baler doing what they do!

(quoted from post at 18:47:07 07/15/19) I have 30 of them teeth. New a little rusty with most of orange paint on them.
Shawn Wallace, let me know if you want to sell those 30 teeth and for how much. Do you have picture of them? Let me know, let me know! Or else I'll have to buy online soon.

It was given back to you?! He didn't like it? Well, sounds like it's lasted quite a while and did a lot of work!
SVCummins, just requested a catalog! Thanks for the link. Feeling a little overwhelmed this morning with all these new toys needing parts and work and now I have to fix the turn signals on my daughter's car, bulbs are good, just nothing happens when moving the signal lever and been working outside and driving all around and dishes stacked up laundry stacked up house a mess and horses need feet trimmed and cats are tearing around just like the tornado. Haha, I have a big list. One thing at a time. One more relaxing coffee, then off to the races.

(quoted from post at 02:56:15 07/16/19)
Congrsts on your rake! A couple more suggestions. First if you pull it with your truck again disconnect the drive shaft from the frame to the basket. Even though it is not turning the basket there is wear going on that is better to avoid. Second, When you go looking for tires, unless you want to spring for traction bar tread tires, look for some used snow tires to reduce tire dragging in heavy hay.
Thanks! Ok, snow tires. Drive shaft? Is that for a rake with a gearbox, the PTO looking connection to the wheel? Mine just has a belt. Or you mean the little lever that would disengage the belt? Someone drilled a hole in the bar that connects the two wheels and put another metal screw on thing beside that so the belt can never completely disengage. Maybe they were having propblems with the lever slipping out of engagement so just rigged it to ON all the time? Hope I didn't wreck something. Guy at the place said it didn't matter because no belt on?

That would be fun if I could get some footage. I'll try if I remember. Chuck knows all. He can just fix the rake. I have enough other things to do. He does have thumbs, so shouldn't be a problem. Might need to trim those claws and get them out of the way so he can properly use his fingers.

I missed your tractor story, I just drove one home 140 miles or so this week. Sure get to see a lot of the country slow speed!

How much of a job is it to replace that belt? Looks like you have to get the main hub loose. With the bars at an angle to the hub, things dont always pull apart as straight
forward as one thinks, hope they have a provision for that.

Looks like a good setup with a little attention to details.

For rake teeth, I get the metal springs as others picture. I have had good luck from my local farm store, Rinnnings, as well as from Fleet and fArm, and others. Some
years ago I got some from TSC, and those were soft - bent like a pretzel. That was years ago, I?m sure things are different. But just saying, you can run into different
quality on this stuff...... don?t give up.

Paul

(quoted from post at 07:58:20 07/16/19) I missed your tractor story, I just drove one home 140 miles or so this week. Sure get to see a lot of the country slow speed!

How much of a job is it to replace that belt? Looks like you have to get the main hub loose. With the bars at an angle to the hub, things dont always pull apart as straight
forward as one thinks, hope they have a provision for that.

Looks like a good setup with a little attention to details.

For rake teeth, I get the metal springs as others picture. I have had good luck from my local farm store, Rinnnings, as well as from Fleet and fArm, and others. Some
years ago I got some from TSC, and those were soft - bent like a pretzel. That was years ago, I?m sure things are different. But just saying, you can run into different
quality on this stuff...... don?t give up.

Paul
Sounds like it is kind of a hard job to replace the belt. I have to wait until I get the manual. I ordered a supposedly brand new in the box original belt for a million bucks so it should be here in a few days.
You drove a tractor 140 miles??? That is way too far! That'd take me a week. Hopefully I can buy some New Idea teeth of a couple guys on YT.

Drove a new Holland swather 80 miles one time for
a guy . My cousin drives a swather and two tractors
one with a rake and one with a big baler 80 miles
one way every year .

[quote="SVcummins, I had to look up what a swather is. So looks like it's like a haybine but it's instead for grain crops? Anyway, they are WIDE and that is a long long way to have those go down the roads. I know my little rake stuck out quite a bit on the driver's side.
Ordered all the manuals I need for the equipment, the M, the sickle, the rake, and ordered two pitmans all ready to fit the sickle. It has a good one that came with it but I know you should have extra. I found out the M was made in 1947 and it is set up for hydraulics. I was told there used to be a loader on the front. I also ordered two manuals for the "Lift All", in case I can find a loader. It's not as tight and clean as I thought. There are some wet spots around some seals. Oh, and one of the big tires looks like it's losing air!? I thought those would be good for a while. That little coaster tire on the sickle sure did great, it is still full of air. No power steering, which is okay, but I will get rid of that stupid knob on the wheel. Boy, that sure got in my way driving home.

I also ordered two manuals for the "Lift All", in case I can find a loader. It's not as tight and clean as I thought. There are some wet spots around some seals. Oh, and one of the big tires looks like it's losing air!? I thought those would be good for a while. That little coaster tire on the sickle sure did great, it is still full of air. No power steering, which is okay, but I will get rid of that stupid knob on the wheel. Boy, that sure got in my way driving home.[/quote]

GotMyFarm!...I'm glad this post came up again, because I wanted to make a suggestion, maybe a couple: Any chance you can set aside the M for now, use the sickle with your other tractor? Sounds like you are taking on an awful lot--and I know the feeling. Hard to focus on one thing, at least for me, but then again I'm extremely ADD. Turn signals come to mind. Can your daughter help, at least keep you company while you're trying to figure it out? Moral support is important. Anyway, one person can only do so much, so it may be good to take a step back, look at what's on your plate, and see what needs to be done now. From where I'm sitting in Maryland, looks like getting the sickle mower up and running is one thing you wanted to do. So....sorry for the unsolicited advice, and take it for what it's worth from someone who was ready to make 2000 mile trip for rusty tractor that will never run again ;-)

You might just need to reposition that stering wheel knob. Set correctly for you they are great, with them you can just use one hand to turn the corner with the mower instead of using both hands. The poor ones are wood, the good ones are metal with ball bearings in.

Gerrit, advice and recommendations always welcome!
I don't think the tractor M needs any repairs right now, it's just not perfect but what tractor is. I'm sure it's good to go. Unless that tire is losing air fast and needs a new one, I think it'll be okay to use the sickle with it. The sickle is what needs putting together, which should be easy and fun when I get the manual. The large belt for the rake came today already! Waiting on that manual to put that on.
I had to decide what needed to be done first. Horse feet and electrical problem on car. And order all of these manuals and parts I need. Got the car fixed on that first day. After trying a few other things, turned out to be the hazard flasher relay was bad. $12 part. Just my diagnosing and messing around taking things apart took forever.
So I just keep doing the most urgent things first and am keeping my head a little above water for now. Daughter can mow the lawn for me tomorrow.
I am itching to get at all my new toys but there are other things that keep getting in the way. One, yesterday, was picking thistles. Had to be done before they blow their tops and spread into the hay field. Heavy duty blue dishwashing type gloves work perfect for thistle picking. No thorn get through them and they are long up your arm. And other things I had to do last few days. AND.....
Don't shake your head, anyone, but I'm buying another rake. IT WAS $100! I couldn't say no. It was too good to be true, but wait, it's not too good to be true after all. Went to pick it up this morning (they told be it was all ready for the road) and I got there and was going to hook it on the truck and take it home, well, lucky I looked it over. FLAT TIRE! This year I am having a horrible time with flat or exploding tires. One after the next. So I spent all day driving and finding tires and tubes and someone to mount them. Tire will be fixed tomorrow. So there's another day gone. But it is in excellent shape as far as I can tell: An old Allis Chalmers 1957(I believe) no.7 rake. 9' across. Good to havr two of everything in case one breaks and a rain is coming sooner or later.

[quote="RedMF40 . To add to my response. It would stress me out more to havee to rig up something on the big tractor to pull the sickle with. The M is totally set up just for the sickle. I think he said that was all it was used for. That was the big relief that I saw in it when I thought about buying it, that it's ready to go.
Yes, getting the sickle is priority, but that is along with the rake and baler. I have a pasture that is past due for cutting and baling. I'd like to get that done ASAP.

(quoted from post at 16:30:27 07/18/19) Gerrit, advice and recommendations always welcome!

Oh, that's great--then I'll be offering LOTS more advice until you just say "Shut up already!" Glad you have a handle on things, it's important. I'm thinking how far along we are in summer and how we'll be soon looking at fall weather. Make hay while the sun shines, as they say. For me, in addition to regular work, I've decided to do an engine swap in my old Honda CR-V. Yes, I just took it into my regular mechanic to confirm it needs a transmission, because I'd feel awfully silly if I did all that work and someone came along and said oh, it only needed a $15 solenoid. So, that's a pretty massive job for someone like me who's not a mechanic and tends to overthink everything. But wait, there's more! I've got hold of the 2-post automotive lift I always wanted, and it's sitting flat in my workshop bay waiting to be set up. Another motor swap, ironically, because the one that's on it will not run on my current electric hook-up and I don't want to do a work-around like a lot of people suggest. And yes, my lawn needs mowed, too. I tried to hire the neighbor kid who's home from college but he did such a terrible job I just decided I'd go back to doing it myself. Not really swimming in alligators, but sometimes I feel like they're circling. The M tractor with the sickle sounds like the perfect setup, and I still think you got a really good deal. Look forward to seeing pics of everything in action--or at least a happy horse eating some of your new hay!

(quoted from post at 19:45:29 07/18/19) Your projects sound more difficult than mine. Thanks, now I feel better. :D

I don't know about that--everything takes time if you want the end result to be good. It all comes out about the same, I think. Did I mention my kitchen is torn apart for complete renovations? Just a utility sink and a small wooden table now. Funny thing about kitchens is once they are all apart they don't magically put themselves back together again :-(

I'd meant to mention, got in touch with Mr Keson because he asked me to once the sale was over. He is still talking about your M and how low it sold. It'll be a topic for some time. I told him well some things are going to sell low, but the main thing is he got rid of an awful lot of stuff in a short time, and that was the main goal. Yes, he agreed with that, but was mad that a working forklift sold for $35. I would be, too.

The belt you need is used on you NI 402 and Fords 513 rake.
AGCO- 400875
HN- NEW400875 crosses to 86520219

Search shows them from $40-200
It's a bit of work to replace one so get a good one.
The belt on my brothers is over 20 years old, rake sets outside.

(quoted from post at 11:55:17 07/19/19)
The belt you need is used on you NI 402 and Fords 513 rake.
AGCO- 400875
HN- NEW400875 crosses to 86520219

Search shows them from $40-200
It's a bit of work to replace one so get a good one.
The belt on my brothers is over 20 years old, rake sets outside.
Thank so much for the part #s!!! I was able to figure out and find and order one right away and it arrived yesterday already! Hate to say, it was $189, but it said it is an unused, original part for the new idea 402. So... $200 plus $189 plus $ for some teeth and if I can get a working rake out of all that, I think that'll be a good deal. We'll have to see how it all goes. AND, the manual came earlier than expected! Just came today! Now, I just need to find time to work on it!

My whole house is still in a repair/replace/update state so I know what you mean about that.
All the hundreds of hours it would have taken him to sell ALL of that stuff... I think he got a good deal with whatever things went for in exchange to (like you said) have it all taken care of by others and all done in one day. He's got to think of what the saved time was worth and of the money as a whole, not piece by piece. He made me feel pretty bad about getting the M. I thought he might pull a Nancy Kerrigan an whack me in the knees so I couldn't drive it home!

I like the steering knobs on a tractor with power
steering but my mothers uncle got his arm ripped off
when his narrow front tractor wheels dropped in a
ditch . I remember one time in high school we were
doing some off roading In my IHC pickup and I hit a
big rock and that steering wheel ripped a chunk out
of my elbow the size of a dime and it hurt . This is
What we call a swather or some call if a windrower
New Holland calls em a speedrower
cvphoto30216.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back