Another NEW gas post

I thought I would post another observation on the fuel they are selling at the pumps these days.

I had to do some brush clean up and property clearing last week so I grabbed one of my chainsaws.

Filled it with fuel, pulled, nothing.
After looking it over I realized the fuel line was rotted inside the tank.

That was strange because I always run them dry before putting them up.

Didn't have any fuel hose so I grabbed another saw.
Guess what? filled with fuel, pulled, nothing.....
Again, rotted fuel hose!

Removed another saw from it's case to find it rotted too.

All in all (5) saws with rotted fuel hose.
I say rotted but really they were totally gone, not there, missing with just loose filters in all the tanks.

This was strange because I maintain my saws like no other......

After every use they get torn down and cleaned, with no signs of use after I am done with them.

I drain the tanks and run them dry before putting them up.

One of the saws was brand new and I only used it once (tuned in to my liking) and keep it as a back up so it has never scene or had more than one tank of fuel in it.

So I decided to check the weed whackers.
Same thing all lines gone.

That's when it got me thinking about the old ford F-150 setting behind my shop waiting for a new clutch slave cylinder.

Parked it there a while back when the peddle started to stay on the floor.

Well that was fun because when I pulled it out the small amount of fuel in the tank was BAD, BAD, BAD even after putting stabilizer in it before parking it.

So bad that when I started it, (4) valves stuck and bent the push rod tubes, fouled the in tank pumps and made its way into the throttle body....

After freeing the valves, replacing the push rods, cleaning out the tanks, she is now ready for the new slave cylinder and clutch kit.

My point is this fuel they are selling us is terrible..

What a time consuming mess with that F-150

Now I know there are many members on this site that are much older than me (that's what makes the knowledge here worth so much) And without the age differences none of us would be able to get their tractors running, repaired and just in general learn so much.

But I can remember using my saws just a few years ago in Northern Arizona every year to cut firewood to heat the house with year after year and I never had to deal with my fuel melting anything......

I also had several trucks that would set along with many other gasoline powered equipment and never had the problems I do now.

Sure if they sat for a long period you were asking for it but now I am wonder how long is too long!

The fuel I removed from the ford would have been great for removing paint at that point.

Word to the wise, if that farm truck or second vehicle is out back setting, get ready for a weekend of fun! Oh yea, keep plenty of extra fuel tube in the tool box for your gas powered tools!
 
Shawn - ethanol is blended in the raw gas when a truck leaves the local dsitribtuion facility. I am convinced horror stories like your's are the result of occasional human error at that point in the process. A double dose of E10 = E20 and whoever is unfortunate enough to get that load gets a load of bad news.
 
E 10 has nothing to do with being green and everything to do with $. Cost the same as regular gas but provides less power so less mpg. This is in effect raising the price, you pay the same amount per gallon but get less energy per gallon. The difference in emissions is so small I question if it is derived from simple human error.
 
(quoted from post at 09:38:45 09/27/11) E 10 has nothing to do with being green and everything to do with $. Cost the same as regular gas but provides less power so less mpg. This is in effect raising the price, you pay the same amount per gallon but get less energy per gallon. The difference in emissions is so small I question if it is derived from simple human error.
n the end "we" pay more for it because it is so highly subsidized by our tax dollars..........above 50 c per gallon.
 
I have a 1987 Stihl 028 super wood boss chain saw, has run it"s ars off over the last 20+ years.
Went to get it out and use it, fresh gas, pulled, pulled....nuttin ! looked and there was little if any fuel line! I found a small piece inside the air cleaner box, looked like a noodle. Took it to the shop, they told me the "new" gas ate it up! Replaced with a "newer" type of plastic.......up and running once again. But dayuuum that jerks my chain!
 
(quoted from post at 11:38:49 09/27/11) I have a 1987 Stihl 028 super wood boss chain saw, has run it"s ars off over the last 20+ years.
Went to get it out and use it, fresh gas, pulled, pulled....nuttin ! looked and there was little if any fuel line! I found a small piece inside the air cleaner box, looked like a noodle. Took it to the shop, they told me the "new" gas ate it up! Replaced with a "newer" type of plastic.......up and running once again. But dayuuum that jerks my chain!
ften seen, since ethanol.
 
Our local small engine distributor tells everyone to use premium gas in all the stuff they sell. Most BP and Shell premium around here is 100% gas no ethanol, that's all I use in my small stuff and don't have fuel problems
 
Have your gas checked by the state.I suspect that waste solvents are being added to the gas you are getting.
 
.... I know your pain.... I had a Stihl saw where the gas litterally ate up the inside of the tank.... chewed the plastic right up... all of my equip needs new primer bulbs... ect... Ethanol is ok for some... but not others... especially 2 cylcle stuff... I use high octane only.... but, only mix enough gas to use up in less than 2 wks.. for ANYTHING I use... Ethanol favors a water molecule over a hydrocarbon.... and phase separation can happen even with a high humidity day.... much like if you dump a pile of salt on something outside... watch what happens... the salt literally PULLS the H20 molecules out of the air, and a wet ring forms around pile.. Same thing happens now with your gas.....
 
My stihl dealer warned me about this years ago. MBTE additive was bad , ethanol worse.

I run 100LL AV fuel in all my small engine two strokes. I can store mix for 6+ months without worry, unmixed years.

Four strokes will tolerate crap corn gas better, but it will still eat up the fuel system from the tank to the intake.

P.S. Anybody running E10 seen any water collect in the sediment bowl?

No? Reason is it dissolves in E10 and is ROTTING YOUR FUEL TANK OUT!!!

Thanks midwestern politicians!!!!
 
Also I had herd some where that it takes as much Fossil fuel to make the alcahol as it dose to just put the fossil in the tank of your vehicle. Don't know whather it's true. This includes growing the corn etc.
 
(quoted from post at 18:16:55 09/27/11) Have your gas checked by the state.I suspect that waste solvents are being added to the gas you are getting.

I think you are exactly right .

Why would they waste a product that they can dump on the market for a profit .
 
I think it's time to get some good lawyers and file a big class action law suite against the manufature of ethenol gas!!!!!!!

They have caused billions of dollars in damages to engines.

I'm working on a 1998 Chev S10 with two stuck intake valves on a four cylinder engine right now that I'm certain was caused by ethenol gas.

Ruined the fuel pump and gas tank too!!!!

Zane
 
E10 is for cars only. You need to buy pure gas. Here is a link to real gas for your boats, cars, lawnmowers, chainsaws.....
http://pure-gas.org/
 
Nephew and his wife came up from MA for a vist.We spent Fri afternoon in my wood lot cutting white ash and making a new road.He says they are having much trouble with the new crap gas.MA has been on it longer than Maine.He and his brother clear house lots and do all the dirt work.Most of the equipment is diesel.Small stuff the uses gasoline is in constant trouble.My Ford 640 ran good on a trip to the wood lot last week but on the way home it ran lousy.Just put some fresh gas in it.I checked the sediment bowl,just a little fine rust in the bottom.Took the carb off, the float had a bright green coating on it.The inside of the carb bowl took on a green color as the gas dried.Added some gas I had used in the generator. The tractor ran better but still not right.My chain saw ran fine Friday on gas I has mixed in May.You might try buying gas from a different store and see it that helps.I have had trouble with bad gas in the last 10 years.I have heard of troubles with snow mobiles and engines with stuck valves and bent push rods.Many posters on here say they have used ethanol gas for years with no problems.Most states have testing labs for motor fuels.A bunch of farmers were having problems with gas tractors,They found their gas was 30# diesel fuel and kerosene.I do think that methanol is being added to gas in place of ethanol.Methanol is very corrosive to brass and zinc based castings .You can buy test kits to check the amount of alcohol in your gasoline.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top