Antifreeze tester ?

I had some GO5 antifreeze on hand and I needed to put fresh into a Super C I fixed up. It had just had water in it for years that must have been drained in the winter. The tester I have is old and has the floating balls. Will it give an accurate reading for all types of coolants? Is GO5 common? I think I got it when I put a new radiator in my 2004 Jeep.

If it is the new red color antifreeze I would not use it in an old tractor due to the fact that if it still has some green antifreeze in it mixing the 2 can cause the antifreeze to gell up

GO5 is Ethelyne glycol based, so the tester will work.

How accurate it is is questionable though, but if you started with a fresh 50/50 mix, then you know it is good.

When testing an unknown mix, it will still put you in the ballpark, just be sure there are no bubbles clinging to the balls or float and take several readings.

There are more than one chemical formula for antifreeze. Each has its own specific gravity. A floating ball tester is typically good for only one formula of antifreeze, so I would not trust it.

You can test the accuracy of your tester with the new antifreeze (before you put it in). Just test straight water (obviously no balls should float). Then test a 75% water mix. It should test weak. Then test a 50/50 mix, and it should test good enough. Then you know your tester is accurate, and can then test coolant that is actually in something (a tractor radiator).

If starting out with straight water in the system, drain the radiator. And rather than trying to re-fill with a 50/50 mix (which you will have to also drain the block if doing that), you can avoid draining the block (which sometimes you can run into problems doing that), if you dump in the appropriate amount if straight antifreeze. Look in your owners manuel (or Google it), and find out what the coolant system capacity is. The amount of straight antifreeze (un-mixed) you need to add to the system, is half the capacity. If capacity is 3 gallons, then 1.5 gallons of straight antifreeze needs to be added. Then simply top off with water. This can usually be done without draining the block, worrying about that, or being bothered with it. NOTE, .... if you do it this way, you will need to start tractor, let it run awhile (to mix the coolant within the system, since you didn't do it before dumping it in), and then check the strength to verify. If you test after filling it this way without no run time, you will get an in-accurate reading due to not being mixed within the system.

Agree. If the poster has a full strength sample of that G05 antifreeze, or a sample of it as premix/50-50, the ball tester can be calibrated to it by sampling it (mixed to 50-50) the only issue is if all balls float, there is doubt as to that end of the range. Taking the sample and mixing in additional water at 45pure-55water, then 40-60, until some balls stay down, can assist with making a reasonable understanding of the potency. In my opinion, if at 45-55 one ball stays down or is reluctant to rise, all is well. If it takes 30-70 mix to sink a ball, the tester is worthless. Jim

I don't buy all the BS about straight antifreeze being weak. Back in the 80's I had a high school Chemistry teacher try to tell me that straight green antifreeze would freeze before 20 below F. Well we had a bout a 2 week to a month it was in the 20 below air temperature for and it never got close to even slushy in a gallon jug setting outside all winter. Als how do you mix antifreeze for locations that are consistently colder than 40 below during the winter for extended periods of time with a 5050 mix that is only good for about 34below. At least that is what I see on the charts for our area in Mid MI. The charts also show a stronger mix for colder weather.

One of those testers is cheaper than dirt. Might get another to double check. Before doing the coolant though I think I would flush the cooling system. If it's only had water in it then there is a lot of rust too. There is chemicals in antifreeze which retard rust.

Science provides a different answer: Pure ethylene glycol freezes at about 12C (10.4F) but, when mixed with water, the mixture freezes at a lower temperature. For example, a mixture of 60% ethylene glycol and 40% water freezes at 45C (49F). I have had the pleasure of thinking I had a head gasket leak when in fact it overheated from slush in the radiator. The mix was 80% antifreeze and 20% water. I was 16, and became educated by the experience. It was about Zero out. Jim

Everyone of these questions had doubt about the tester how about a tester that checks both types of coolant.

Tester

I don't have the one in the link but have an expensive Refractometer. Why because I can not afford to guess.

mvphoto99943.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back