Axle center confusion

841D TX

The New Holland part site shows same part no. for axle center for both 8N and 650. I have one of each and one is approx. 4 inches longer than the other. Please clear this up. Also, my axle center on 650 is bent somewhat on left side. Steering is a bear. Have replaced bearings with no improvement. Will bent axle contribute a lot to very hard steering? Thanks for help.

You talking front or rear. Also by axle center are you talking the hub where the wheel bolts to it or if the rear the dish center that the wheel/rim bolts to. If your talking the front hub the 2 could be the same as for replacement parts.
As for hard steering any bent steering part can cause it to be harder to steer.

Not knowing what you have done other than replace some bearings, you might do some diagnosing by isolating each steering component until you find the problem. As a suggestion jack up front axle and block so you can check the movement, check spindles and wheels, if difficult to turn, remove drag link one side at a time and check the spindle. If spindles move freely then the issue may be in the steering box or column. Check the box for lube. Isolate the steering box and see how it turns without being attached to spindles. Check the drag link ends for movement on the chance one is frozen up. Not likely though. When the bearings go bad in the box it will be difficult to turn. Check the archives for info for there are many threads on the same subject.

I'm talking about the front center axle. It is bent to a point about 1 inch from the half axle as it nears the center pin. This is on the left side of the tracto. In other words it is not coupled together withe the half axle all the way. As it gets near the center pin and bushing it bends away from the half axle. The other side of the axle is perfectly coupled with the half axle. There is about 3/4 inch difference from the outside end of the center axle to a common point on each side of the tractor. Just trying to get a feel if this bent axle is the cause of my very hard steering. Have replaced spindle bushings as well as bearings in steering box. These repairs did nothing to help steering.

Have pretty well done all the steps you mentioned. No binding or hard steering was found by jacking up front end and removing tie radius rods. Also I failed to note that along with replacing spindle bushings, I also replaced bearings in steering box. Bearings were not terribly bad, but I replaced them, and filled with grease.

The way you explain things for the most part does not make sense. You have the hub the wheel/rim bolts to and then the spindle which I have NEVER sen bent they tend to break instead. Then you have the axle parts which can be bolted and unbolted to make wider or narrower. You also have the radius rods which keep the axle form being cock eys to the tractor

As I said, I'm not talking about the hub or the spindle. The spindle is inside the half axle, which bolts to the center axle. The part that is bent is the center axle. That is exactly the term the New Holland parts list calls it, Axle assembly, front center. This is the part that is bent at the inside end of the half axle.

Sorry I'm not describing in a way that you understand.

My parts book does not show the numbers being the same. As you can see in my photo the NAA axle is different than the
8n that is on top. If you axle is bent than I would assume your radius rod is also bent? Did you replace your axle
center pin/bushing? Replace or straighten your axle. If radius rod is bent, bend it back or replace it. Check your toe
in as per the manual. One tire may be heading straight while the other is trying to turn.

Kirk
100_2720Small.jpg

Did you make any adjustments in the sector shafts of the steering box? They may be too tight. Do you have a manual? It will tell you how to adjust the box. Is it hard turning in both directions or just one? Does the steering column shaft rise as you turn the wheel? Those are indicators of a bad thrust bearing. Alignment issues with effect steering, the manual will tell you how to align the wheels. You wouldn't happen to have a FEL on it would you?

For that part being bent isn't the radius rod also bent?? But yes that could make it harder to steer since that would put one tire back and the other forward and out of aliment.

The parts site does currently show the same part number for the center axle section for the 8N vs. the NAA/600/601 series, but it definitely looks like a mistake, note the date difference:

8N:
Product No: D9NN3010EA
Axle Assy., Front Center, No Longer Used, Years: 01-JAN-39-31-DEC-52

NAA/600/601:
Product No: D9NN3010EA
Axle Assy., Front Center, All Purpose, Standard & LCG, No Longer Used, Start Year: 01-JUL-58

Also note that part number starts with D9NN, which means that it wasn't actually used until 1979, so it is not the original part number for either the 8N or the NAA/600/601 series of tractors.

Also, it says "No longer used" for both, and the NAA/600/601 parts page lists another newer part number, 312658, that is not listed on the 8N parts page at all, so at some point someone realized that the replacement part number for the NAA/600/601 series did not work with the 8N series.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back