front axle pin questions

lka

I'm reworking the steering and front end on my '57 860 trying to tighten it up. Most of the parts that I am replacing look original, no loader ever on this tractor as far as I know. It does have cast front wheel weights.

About the only wear part that is salvageable so far are the wheel bearings.

Current issue is the axle -- I took the axle pin out (the threaded sort with the locking collar that bolts on front) and the pin was noticeably worn. The bushing was worn through a little bit at one corner but the bore in the axle is only 1/32" out in the vertical axis and only in a small area at one end. The bore still looks circular and concentric to the eye. I pressed in the new bushing, with new pin in place there is a huge improvement but the front of the pin can still wobble pack and forth maybe 1/8". Crappy tolerances with aftermarket parts?

Is this normal? I'm sure a machine shop could tighten it up by reboring the axle and machining a tighter bushing but I have never worked on any of these and don't know what is normal tolerance.

I just replaced the bushing and pin on my 2000 4 cylinder which uses the same pin and bushing. Ordered both from this site and very disappointed with the
fit. Im also not sure but I thought the fit should be better than it is. Maybe someone with more experience with them will chime in.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back