B414 cylinder head ferrule

wallydog

New User
Hi, IH B414 with the BD154 engine, 4 cylinder diesel.

I'm just putting the cylinder head back on to the block after a full engine rebuild. The manual says that there should be ferrules on two of the cylinder head bolts. They were not there when I dismantled the engine, plus I can't find a part number for them. From measuring I think they'll be about 23mm long with an OD of 15mm and an ID of 11mm. They slip push up inside two bolt holes on the head, I guess their purpose is to align the head on the block by taking out any free play from the bolts. Has anyone more information about this? Leave them out? Vital part of engine? Are they available? etc

Cheers Clive

They are probably part of the cylinder block, because
thats where they are supposed to stay. Look in the parts
list under cylinder block assembly and related parts.

(quoted from post at 18:09:19 12/27/23) They are probably part of the cylinder block, because
thats where they are supposed to stay. Look in the parts
list under cylinder block assembly and related parts.

I've already done that. There are no ferrules listed or shown.

cvphoto169323.png

Call them and find out.

Maybe see how close a piece of electrical EMT
conduit comes to being the proper size. Saw a slit in it.
Just an off the wall possibility.

This post was edited by used red MN on 12/27/2023 at 10:43 pm.

(quoted from post at 23:41:48 12/27/23)close a piece of electrical EMT
conduit comes to being the proper size..

This post was edited by used red MN on 12/27/2023 at 10:43 pm.

Thanks for the suggestion. But from a closer inspection of the head it appears I'll need to machine a part to fit. It's not just a locating bush, it transfers pressure onto he head gasket so needs to be exact.

cheers Clive

You said ..it transfers pressure onto he head gasket so
needs to be exact.
I have never been into one of those engines, but I
would definitely need more explanation about this
before I could agree it would have such a purpose. The
manual I have access to mentions nothing about this. It
just has an illustration showing their location, see
screenshot photo. In the manuals wording it says to
install 2 guide studs in the locations of the ferrels
during the intitial placement of the head. I would think
that if the ferrels somehow needed to apply sealing
pressure to the gasket this would be mentioned. I am
not trying to argue your statement I am just trying to
understand how you determined this? I do not want
some misunderstanding of the purpose of the ferrels
to cause a problem for you. In my experience,
generally their only purpose is the properly locate the
gasket nothing more.
cvphoto169352.png

POSSIBLY when the engine was new they were included in the gasket set and later the gasket was redesigned and the ''ferrules'' were no longer needed.

That is EXACTLY what happened in the same era with the head gaskets for certain Cummins V6 and V8 engines.

Hi, IH B414 with the BD154 engine, 4 cylinder diesel.

I'm just putting the cylinder head back on to the block after a full engine rebuild. The manual says that there should be ferrules on two of the cylinder head bolts. They were not there when I dismantled the engine, plus I can't find a part number for them. From measuring I think they'll be about 23mm long with an OD of 15mm and an ID of 11mm. They slip push up inside two bolt holes on the head, I guess their purpose is to align the head on the block by taking out any free play from the bolts. Has anyone more information about this? Leave them out? Vital part of engine? Are they available? etc

Cheers Clive
In case you haven’t figured this out yet, the images shown are from the I-T manual, and the text seems to indicate that the ferrules you described are actually part of the gasket itself and not pressed into the block. The instructions on the next page say to install guide studs at those two locations to align the gasket and the head …. Possibly they just stamped the holes smaller and omitted the ferrules entirely, as wore - out said.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back