Backhoe part question on dipper

Briankos

New User
I have a Case 680E backhoe. I am new to Heavy Equipment repair, so I wanted to reach out and ask this silly question. There are 2 plates that attack the hoe bucket to the dipper arm. Yesterday, while sweeping dirt to level it out a bit, I side hit a big rock and snapped one of these plates. After removing the piece, I see where is was cracked prior, I just finished the job! But I notice that the piece is made of cast iron, and not steel. Is there a reason for this? Safety? I was thinking of making a new piece out of 1 inch steel...
Thanks for looking and any input is appreciated.

(quoted from post at 11:38:45 11/27/22) I have a Case 680E backhoe. I am new to Heavy Equipment repair, so I wanted to reach out and ask this silly question. There are 2 plates that attack the hoe bucket to the dipper arm. Yesterday, while sweeping dirt to level it out a bit, I side hit a big rock and snapped one of these plates. After removing the piece, I see where is was cracked prior, I just finished the job! But I notice that the piece is made of cast iron, and not steel. Is there a reason for this? Safety? I was thinking of making a new piece out of 1 inch steel...
Thanks for looking and any input is appreciated.

I would go with steel. You might want to make a matched pair and replace both cast ones.

I was really thinking of going with steel and yes, I would replace both... I have a friend who can cut them exactly.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back