Base ideas for a 200 gallon bulk fuel tank

BarnyardEngineering

I'm putting in a 200 gallon "upright" bulk fuel tank for diesel.

Rather than sit straight on the ground I'd like to see it up on something.

I'm thinking a plastic pallet on a bed of crushed stone. Only problem is where do I find a plastic pallet? Checked FB Marketplace and Craigslist, just a bunch of dreamers who get them for free and think they can make $100 off each one. Beyond that I'm out of ideas. Nobody knows where to get a plastic pallet or they're keeping their sources secret.

You can buy them from places like Uline and Northern Tool. But they arent cheap if thats what you are wanting.

not really sure where to find them. in the oilpatch we have to have a berm around the fuel tanks, as fuel containment in case of a leak.
plus they have to be double lined. plus have seen plastic tubs with the tank in it. seams things are getting so sticky on this fuel
containment thing. but on the farm have not heard too much about rules yet. this one your 200 talking about has those 2 brackets as feet so
would need a good base for it . maybe some treated 4x4's , or those 6x8 hyway posts, 6x8 guardrail blocks?

No feet, just a tank. Sets upright like a barrel.

My next thing is finding the bed of crushed stone. Darned if I can find someone to haul me a load of crushed stone. Nobody knows anyone who does that. Nobody knows anyone who does anything when I ask.

Our local bulk distributor, where I buy my off-road diesel, has an assortment of elevated storage tanks for sale. I assume they will bring them out and install
them for you.

A few 4 inch solid concrete blocks laid the flat way on the crushed stone base, or even just on the ground , you could go 2 high if
needed with no base. Dont know where you are but many excavating contractors or landscapers should be able to get you your stone.
You could call your nearest gravel bed and ask them who could haul you a load. If you use the stone for other things maybe you
could get a 10 wheeler load and have the rest in a pile for future uses.

Check with your insurance Co. Groundwater pollution is a HUGE risk or them. Most likely they will exempt it or require a concrete containment. I had one for a few years but sold it after I cut back. It was the bottom half of a septic tank with a wood framed roof over it.

If I was going to use a pallet I would try to find one made out of oak. Plastics may deuterate, or crack after a few years. RR ties will be another good
option. Stan

Any drainage or roads being redone, widened, built???

A hunk of big but short concrete culvert set on end makes a nice a nice heavy stable support for such a project.

Many times the last piece of concrete pipe is cut to fit and the curoff goes to the crusher.

Or an old beat up or no longer compliant concrete highway traffic barrier.
Cut two equal lengths out of one, set side by side spaced for your tank on top.

This post was edited by DoubleO7 on 09/08/2021 at 02:15 pm.

2 X On check with your fuel supplier about what is legal for them to fill now-a-days. No sense building something you can not use. The same with your insurance company, you don't want to have a problem and then find out your coverage is denied. Remember, legally farming is a business, not just a hobby.

How about using those landscape stones that are shaped like a wedge. They can be laid to form a circle and are about 3 thick. I'd think that would work out well.

Plastic pallet would work well. Got a stack left over from the sod business. Their around 15 years old and still like brand new. Good Luck.

here's my 120 gal semi tank
cvphoto100473.jpg

(quoted from post at 09:00:50 09/08/21) Our local bulk distributor, where I buy my off-road diesel, has an assortment of elevated storage tanks for sale. I assume they will bring them out and install
them for you.

They won't prepare the site. Plus their tank is 5X what I paid for this one.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back