battery cables

1982 J D 2640 will not click or turn over sometimes. tractor will start in the morning and run fine but if you shut it off for lunchetc it sometimes will not start:no click, no attempt to start....just dead. then all of s sudden it will turn over and run like a top. All leads and connections are tight' batteries fully charged,starter not stuck etc. My question is do battery cables just get tired and need to be replaced?
I have no idea how old these are but they don't look that bad. Thanks in advance!

start checking connections. is that a key start? not likely cables. its whatever your doing to start it. as in ignition switch.

When it fails to start, do all the accessories, lights, everything electrical go off? If so, that sounds like a bad cable connection.

Battery cables can go bad internally where the ends are attached. Usually there will be evidence, such as swelling from corrosion, or heat discolored insulation. But good cables are expensive. Factory cables are better than the auto supply cables, which are made with small wire hidden inside thick insulation. Be careful what you buy, go by the gauge, not the looks.

What you describe sounds like possibly starter brushes, or voltage drop to the starter solenoid 'IF' it has a Delco starter with the plunger type solenoid mounted to the starter.

Worn brushes will cause the starter do go silent, no click, nothing. Sometimes gently tapping the case will get a few more starts out of it. Brushes are easy to replace, available at most any auto supply.

It can also be voltage drop to the solenoid. Sometimes going through the starter, replacing the solenoid, cleaning everything up, will fix it. Sometimes an auxiliary relay needs to be added near the starter. An aux relay supplies a stronger voltage directly to the S terminal (the small post on the solenoid that energizes the starter). There can be voltage drop in the small gauge wiring from the ignition switch, through the neutral switch, then more small wire. A relay is much easier to close than pulling in the spring loaded plunger inside the starter. If this turns out to be the problem, we can walk you through adding the relay.

Has the neutral safety start switch been checked? That's one of the first things I'd suspect. Do some troubleshooting with a test light to verify that the start signal is getting through to the solenoid before throwing $$$ parts at it.

cvphoto105357.jpg

When wiring gets old and wet look for electrical Gremlins.

Usually where electrical Gremlins have been smoke will follow.

Yes. Battery cables will wear out. They did on my 2000 F250. The diesel truck has about a 10-12ft battery cable thingy! Connects both batteries,grounds and starter. Got to where the truck wouldn't turn over. Replaced the cable and all was good. Skinned the old cable in a few spot the copper had turned black

If that is like my brothers 2940 the neutral start switch is connected to the range lever on the left. I have to hold it over to the left with my foot or hand for it to make connection to start. Looking under the platform I didn't see where it is nor how to change it. Looked like it was inside so since it starts this way just have kept on using it. Not a Deere guy and the old IH's didn't have these problems.

NO its unlikely copper CABLES go bad from age HOWEVER the terminals and connections and posts and lugs etc etc do go bad build up heat resistance and carbon..Look for signs of heat or discoloration or burning especially at terminations or any splices or junctions. Similar solenoids go bad due to carbon and pitting and building up resistance ..What happens is at a bad connections or terminals resistance builds up and VOLTAGE DROP occurs leaving less for the starter. I have seen a lot of factory molded battery cable ends look fine outside, but underneath they are burned carboned up and resistive grrrrrrrr

ALSO a bad/loose/burned/carboned/resistive GROUND connection or connection at a weak spot can cause problems CHECK GROUNDS !!!!!!!!!!! CHECK FOR VOLTAGE DROP ACROSS A SOLENOID

Good quality heavy duty oversized cables are a must

John T

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back