Bent exhaust stack!

A John Deere 3020 for sale has a bent exhaust stack. It’s not just kinked, but seems to be bent from all the way under the hood, so it comes out at a funny angle. Is this a problem on a tractor? We’ve never had one bend on any of ours like that, is that a tractor I should avoid? Or if I bought it, is that fixable without a whole new stack?

A John Deere 3020 for sale has a bent exhaust stack. It’s not just kinked, but seems to be bent from all the way under the hood, so it comes out at a funny angle. Is this a problem on a tractor? We’ve never had one bend on any of ours like that, is that a tractor I should avoid? Or if I bought it, is that fixable without a whole new stack?
Whether it is a gasoline or a diesel engine it would have a cast iron exhaust manifold with a muffler clamped to it as it left the factory.

Generally, cast iron manifolds don't bend, they break so there shouldn't be a manifold ussue

You say it has a "stack", which would be aftermarket, if that is true, or if a muffler, that is the part that would be bent and needing to install a new muffler or straight pipe (if you want to become hearing Impaired) would not be a deal breaker if the tractor is otherwise in good condition

Upvote 0
Have you looked under the hood? Is the manifold where the muffler fastens on broke? If the manifold isn't broke it should be OK, if it is broke, there should be enough 3020's in the salvage yards to get a replacement with no problems. Does it run? My 2 cents, Chris

Upvote 0
Exhaust is probably bent under the hood just above the manifold outlet clamp. I doubt the exhaust manifold is damaged, as cast iron breaks instead of bends like steel can. I have a 4020 muffler that is bent like that too, I'd look closely and make sure outlet is not broken off and exhaust just resting in place.

Upvote 0
Had to replace a manifold on a late lp 4020, lady caught the exhaust on a branch. Don't remember replacing the muffler though, just the manifold.

Upvote 0
About 3 or 4 times a year someone here catches an exhaust stack on a branch and bends it, often right where it leaves the manifold. Always a risk when most of our fields are small, odd-shaped, have close-growing forests around them, and we a random selection of people doing field work. Even I bend one every now and again. I'll think, "oh, that branch looks pretty flimsy, the exhaust will just push it out of the way", and it turns out that tiny little branch was a lot stronger than you thought.

Not a big deal at all. Pull the stack, place over a pipe clamped in a vice, and bend it straight. Sometimes a weld seam on the muffler/stack might crack and need to be tacked back together, but rarely. Worst case is you have to spend $150 on a new stack. If your manifold's cracked, that's a slightly more significant job, but still not a big deal, And I've seen a lot of exhausts bent, and never seen a manifold damaged, so I doubt it is.

Reactions: HFJ
Upvote 0
Yeah even if you paid someone to do it and they found a used manifold and new muffler 500 bucks is the max you would have in that part of the tractor not a dealbreaker at all. What fuel and what year? Those can be a great tractor

Upvote 0
Even I bend one every now and again. I'll think, "oh, that branch looks pretty flimsy, the exhaust will just push it out of the way", and it turns out that tiny little branch was a lot stronger than you thought.
i learned about the strength of those tiny branches real soon after i got my N with an upright exhaust. i don''t farm, i just mow my lawn. it's under the right floorboard where it belongs now ;)

darndest thing, too - i haven't dislodged it since :)

Upvote 0
It’s a gasser, unsure of year. It’s not a bad looking tractor, runs good and reasonably priced. It’s not broken under the hood, just bent up. From what you’ve all said, and after looking at it, it’s mainly just a cosmetic detail. I just wouldn’t want it to cause problems down the road, like hitting another branch then all of a sudden the thing is straight piped.

Upvote 0
It’s a gasser, unsure of year. It’s not a bad looking tractor, runs good and reasonably priced. It’s not broken under the hood, just bent up. From what you’ve all said, and after looking at it, it’s mainly just a cosmetic detail. I just wouldn’t want it to cause problems down the road, like hitting another branch then all of a sudden the thing is straight piped.
"I just wouldn’t want it to cause problems down the road, like hitting another branch then all of a sudden the thing is straight piped."

That is always a possibility, no one can say that won't happen. Sometimes hitting a number of branches over time isn't a problem, sometimes the first one you hit can break a manifold. The lighter material in the exhaust system lessens chance of breaking the heavier manifold. Beefing the pipe off the manifold up to prevent bending the pipe, can break the manifold quicker.

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back