Best easy to fix utility tractor

Apollo114

New User
Ill hit the question first then explain, what is the best overall utility tractor at least 45hp?
The background, I grew up on a dairy farm with John Deere 4440s, caterpillar 910 loaders and forklifts. The farm was ...crushed by bad workmanship and bad decisions, and what's left is a 1961 John Deere 4010 diesel with 158 loader, a John Deere 300 industrial diesel, and a To30 Ferguson. The 4010 is great but heavy, the Ferguson is great but with no live hydraulic or PTO it can struggle even with my boxblade, and the 300 gets worked to snowblower or rescue the 4010 in the winter when I plow. I like the 300 for it's size but wish it had more power for it's weight. I like the power brakes and live hydraulics, what would make a better upgrade but that wouldn't be as heavy as the 4010 with these features?

How old or new of a machine are you looking
for? Newer would be less troublesome but
needs a bigger budget.

I won't go with a brand preference, but a few things to consider...

Parts availability. Nearly all are now imports regardless what name or color. Just do some research, check the reliability feedback, see what is available as far as dealerships and aftermarket parts.

Emissions and electronics. All the newer tractors will have some level of emissions and proprietary electronics. Unless you are into trading in every couple years, don't go there!

Overall condition. You can't really expect to buy something 50 years old and expect it to run happily everafter. Unless you luck into someones fully restored baby (seldom happens), chances are it will come with issues.

Tell that to my neighbor across the river with the 5 year old JD he's had it worked on 3 times,computer problems,and its still not right.Meanwhile my 40 to 50 year old
tractors give me very little trouble and I could go a long ways toward buying a good tractor with the $$$$$ my neighbor has spent on his in the last 6 months.

If you like the 300 go with a newer Deere utility. A 2440-2640-2350-2550 or a 55 series should fit what you want. If budget lets you go even newer like a 5400,6200 ect or even the same in a 10 series. Tom

Skip over the older Deere utilitys...go up to a 5400-5405 with front wheel drive,, a much better tractor and with no electronics,,the utility tractors with 2 shifters between your legs are troublesome.

With no budget it's hard to
recommend because there are so
many. But the case 4/530 are
right in there and if you want
newer with front assist the
case 12/13/1490 or 94 series
are excellent as well.

Someone else's.

Maybe borrow a neighbors.

Rent them as needed.

Pick by color.

Pick the one the local mechanics never visit or see.

Some old antique with no features.

You know how much I like green but I?d take an older model of any brand before a new tractor of any brand

(quoted from post at 03:53:35 07/09/19) The only easy fix tractor is a new one. All of them are H to fix when they get old.
I respectfully disagree with this comment. I would rather work on an old one 10 to 1 over a new one with all the computer mess and emissions garbage on them.

I would recommend IH 74 or 84 series, or Case IH 85 or 95 series. They all use either a D-239 engine or a variant of it, engine was in production for over 20 years. Parts are not too terribly hard to find, they all seem to have good power for their size, not too hard on fuel, and have live hydraulics, live PTO, hydraulic brakes, and power steering. I work at a Case IH dealer and have heard one customer describe his 684 as "the perfect tractor". I have two of 'em, and I tend to agree. Would like to have an 884, though.

I guess that's the trick, I like a lot of the older models since parts are available new and used and many of the older models were almost made to be repaired by their owners. The newer models almost require a visit to the dealer..

that's one of the concerns I have is the 300 has the dual shifters. I have heard horror stories of them locking up. But it's got good ffuctions, live hydraulic, PTO, power brakes are awesome, and the diff lock has dragged me out of a bunch of jambs, but since I'm just shy of the 40hp mark it's alittle light for my 7ft snowblower and if I need to pull my 4010 out of a hole as for a price range it's about 10k for the right tractor.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back