Best replacement carb for 850?

MeanGene1

I'd like to get rid of the sediment bowl at the carb, as I have installed a new fuel tank and a sediment bowl (IH) at the right rear corner, doing away with the center leaker. I am looking for a brass needle valve, as the kit rubber tip one loves to stick. I see lots of cheapo carbs listed, looking for something with reasonable cost but quality that works well. Looking for actual experience please, not I think/ I heard/ I read lol..

You do know that most all of the new aftermarket Cheena-made stuff is junk, right? Carbs (and all other parts) made are clones of clones of clones and they don't do
any QC there, so never expect a part to function as it should out of the box. Next, rebuilding the OEM component is always the first choice you should make when
rebuilding a part. That is the way FORD engineered them. CARBS, GENS, STARTER MOTORS, GOVS, HYD PUMPS, STEERING BOXES - ditto. Next, Why would you want to dump the
Sediment Bulb??? It is there for a reason. I know it is your tractor and your $$$ so you can do whatever you want with it. Good luck and post what you end up doing.

FORD TRACTOR 800 & 900 SERIES CARBS USED with the 172 CID ENGINE:
EAF9510D, MARVEL-SCHEBLER p/n TSX-593 (800/900)
EAF9510G, B6NN9510A, M-S TSX-706 (800/900 EARLY MODELS)

You can find used ones, some refurbished on fleabay often.

Tim Daley(MI)

I have had Marvel-Scheblers perform well for decades without touching them. I would stay that course. If you don't rebuild them yourself, Motec Engineering does a good job of rebuilding them.
I like the fuel tank change. Which IH tractor donated the fuel tank?

I like the M-S carb, had to find this one on the flea, and it runs great until the float sticks- rebuilt with a kit from the site. Someone in the past had "installed" a little carb from an 8N, which had gotten filled with water when the tractor sat for a few years and was completely filled with rust- but would still start and run- kinda. Been looking thru my stash of leftover kit parts for a brass needle that fits, still searching. The fuel tank was replaced with the one from the site, which let me install a high volume IH sediment bulb/ petcock that fits nicely at the right rear where it's easy to access, and did away with the screwdriver valve, a new one leaked worse than the old one, and they are a PITA at best. Also makes that sediment bowl at the carb redundant. As I said, "I'd like to get rid of the sediment bowl at the carb, as I have installed a new fuel tank and a sediment bowl (IH) at the right rear corner, doing away with the center leaker." I also know a little more depth on the "China" stuff- China can make any quality level they are asked for, to fit the price point given by the customer. If you spec cheapo junk, you'll get it. If you spec (and pay for) high quality, they can build that too. We use a lot of stuff from China in FE Ford engines with high specs from companies like SCAT, RPM, Bear Block Motors etc, and some are very nice. Not defending China, just correcting an incorrect broad stroke that was tossed out. BTW, South Korea produces some VERY nice products, very clean castings and such

Agreed, but you will not find any Chinese made aftermarket carburetors to fit Ford tractors that are not the cheapo versions.

I'm aware that China can make anything at any quality level. Problem is they don't make quality carbs for antique tractors. You will not find anything better than what came from the factory. That holds true for most all tractor parts. If you find that company that makes high quality parts for old Ford tractors be sure to post the link here.

BINGO! I've worked on guys' cheap Cheena crud and found some have the 4 screws that secure the two carb halves together were METRIC as well as small screws for the throttle plate and the choke lever were also METRIC. Also those screws are supposed to be brass but these were steel. Caveat Emptor.

Tim Daley(MI)

(quoted from post at 20:15:59 02/20/23) I see lots of cheapo carbs listed, looking for something with reasonable cost but quality that works well.

No actual experience. I'm shocked. YT sells a Zenith that's made in USA, with a price to go with. Even more shocking if it turned out to be junk.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back