Black diesel

Texasmark

Had a big surprise today. After a cold spell...cold for Texas, I was fueling a tractor today, mild weather, and I use the Goldenrod final
filter on my 55 gallon tanks which I keep sealed if not being used, my sight glass containing the filter filled up with black diesel and
clogged the filter, shutting off flow.

Been using these tanks for many years, always add PS grey bottle when filling the 3ea. 55 gallon drums, and never had a problem.
Buy diesel from one location with a large farming community business base so their fuel must be pretty fresh.....assumption. Last
winter we got down to -4F and I didn't have a problem forgetting to add white bottle PS to the tank since I was below 30F, but this
tank was one that was full of fuel ready for dispersement......if that is of any importance. I used out of it all last summer with no
clogging problems. and no discoloration as I recall...since the clear plastic filter housing is right in my face when unloading and
replacing the nozzle just like this time, I would have seen a color change had there been one.

So, I assume I have a biocide problem.....all of a suden, serious infection, after all these years with no problems, and have ordered a
dozen filters and some PS bio fixer upper for the tanks. I guess I add the bio to the tank and keep changing the filters till the fuel is
off road red and clear again.

What do you think?
Thanks.,
Mark

Bio-guard has solved it for a lot of my customers, little surprising that it would show up in the cold weather.

Black is what's known as algae. It grows where the water meets the fuel. Drain off your water and treat it and you should be fine.

I do not know for sure but when you say 55 gallon that to me suggests that it may be a regular 55 gallon drum. If so I would suggest just disposing of that one and seek out a replacement.

(quoted from post at 15:35:26 02/06/23) So, I assume I have a biocide problem.....all of a suden, serious infection, after all these years with no problems, and have ordered a dozen filters and some PS bio fixer upper for the tanks. I guess I add the bio to the tank and keep changing the filters till the fuel is off road red and clear again.

What do you think?
Thanks.,
Mark

Only time will tell, but I don't think you'll use up a dozen filters. After adding the biocide (shock treatment dose), the biology reduces volume considerably. If you add a screen prefilter, much of it will be removed by the screen before it enters the filter element. Might want to get an electric fuel pump with filter(s) and circulate the fuel in the drum or transfer from one drum to another to reduce dead biology before fueling through your transfer pump and Goldenrod.

A 55 gallon drum with normal drum bung caps is not a sealed container. The drum has to breath to not collapse or bulge out. Get a tank with a proper Vent, Drums are a terrible way to store diesel. Water is your problem, feeding the black algae use biocide, keep drums in a dry place.

Thanks guys for the informative and punctual replies. Some good ideas. I have had these 3 drums in a home made trailer (my way to town to fill up) for longer than I can remember. I keep PS silver in with the fillups per recommended dose and never had a problem in all those years except just now.

I have the bio and the filters ordered. I'll check back after I work with it and see how it works.

Thanks again.

If you will just tip the barrels upside down and crak the bungs so the water can sep through the threads about once a year you will not have that problem. We do just that to all of our tanks each year and use some tanks that must be 50-75 years old. We don't have any algae problems in fuel.

I guess change is in order. Can't remember how many years I have been using the same 3 barrels with zero problems. I don't always empty them completely as the pickup on the 12v pump doesn't suck the tank dry...but been that way forever. I leave 4-6 air space when filling and cap them so they have pos and neg pressure changes as the seasons change. The one that's being use for refueling has the ability to have air exchanges. Getting them unattached to the trailer and draining would be a real chore for me as I have no hands. So current idea is to douse with biocide when it comes in, replace the Goldenrod filter in the output line and play it by ear. Thanks for the reply.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back