Black roof tar in a caulking like tube?

Geo-TH,In

Many years I got a good deal on roof tar in a tube.
I went to use a tube yesterday and the tar was very thick.
My electric caulking gun had to struggle to get it out.
I was thinking of trying to put it in boiling water.
Any ideas how to make it more playable?
I'm cheap. I may have to spend some coins and only buy a tube at a time.

Some of those tubes are paper and don't hold up well in water. But seat it up in a plastic bag and dunk away. Or, use a heat gun, carefully.

In any case you're on the right track as heat will make it more pliable.

Put the tar in a bowl like thing and put just s few drops of engine oil in it and will soften it so it will spread. I doubt the heat will soften it like you want. If many years old it has dried out some and will be stiff again in short order in cold weather.

Like cat guy posted, spoon it out of the tube, mix some fuel with it, then stuff it back into the tube.

I'm a magnet for Dirt, grease and tar. It jumps on me.
Tar in a tube has less chance of getting all over me.
If heat doesn't work, I'll buy a new tube of tar.

The tar undergoes a one-way chemical reaction when exposed to air. It does not dry it "cures." The tube slows it down by limiting exposure to air but can not completely stop it. That is why your caulking gun is having a hard time dispensing the "tar."

Warming it might thin it temporarily. Mixing stuff into it might thin it temporarily. Neither will reverse the chemical reaction. You will still be applying partially-cured "tar" that will not adhere or seal as well as a "fresh" tube.

I tar around the base of our grain bins with gallon pales. I look like the tar monster on Scoby doo when I get done. Nothing gas will not cut.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back